Monday, July 17, 2023

Accuracy isn't the only thing I'm looking for

 

Last week I was settling in on the couch at a new cat friend's apartment and found she was watching COPS.  I did not want to risk life and limb to move her off the remote, so I joined her.

 

But after about ten minutes, Her Purriness was out of luck.  It was change the channel or die.  The people being arrested were either breathtakingly witless, or drunk — sometimes both. It was worse than watching a train wreck cause it never ended. And it was hard to root for the cops cause they were clearly punching down three ‑ or ten ‑ levels at least.

 

As I flipped through the channel guide, and fended off Her Unhappiness, I thought about writers who tell me how accurate their books are.

 

Now, the stories on COPS might be at least sort-of accurate, but that was clearly not enough to hold my interest. (A lot of people watch that show. If you're one of them, I'm not saying you're an idiot.)

 

For me the show didn't work for a couple reasons, first and foremost because the characters were unevenly matched.  It's not all that fun to see a witless, drunken lout get baited into confessing his sins anymore than it's fun watching someone take candy from a baby.

 

And that meant the stories weren't emotionally satisfying.

 

Which led me to realize: Reality and accuracy are seldom emotionally satisfying.

 

Which is why when someone tells me that the novel they're writing is accurate, it's not the plus they think it is. I know what they mean (they're getting details right) but a good story has to sacrifice some accuracy to be emotionally satisfying.

 

I thought of this again when a friend of mine Tweeted about a very uncomfortable situation she found herself in recently. She was confronted in a public place by someone with an agenda. An agenda that involved a bullying busybody cloaked in smug self-righteousness.

 

 

My friend avoided a scene by walking away.

 

I think most of us would have done the same.

 

But that end of the story left me emotionally unsatisfied.

I wanted that prig to be struck by lightning. Or to eaten by wolves. Or both.

 

To make myself feel better, I wrote a new version of what happened.

There was no lightning, nor any wolves (sadly) but you can be sure revenge and retribution figured heavily in the plot.

 

And it dawned on me that my friend's version was accurate but emotionally unsatisfying, whereas my reimagining wasn't accurate (it's not what happened, and it's not what how most people would have handled the confrontation). But it was much more emotionally satisfying. Which is exactly what you want a story to be.

 

 

 

I believe this is why people invented storytelling: to make sense of the world and provide emotional resolution to what happens to us and others. To make the world feel better.

 

 

There will always be a certain number of people for whom accuracy is more important than the story. You're not writing for them.

 

 

 

 

 

 

16 comments:

Kathleen Marple Kalb said...

What a great insight. I think you just explained why I -- and a fair number of other journalists -- write fiction on our own time. For once, we get to make stories come out the way they SHOULD. Thank you for this...and for the reminder to keep an eye on the satisfying resolution!

Mister Furkles said...

Some writers are both accurate and emotionally evocative. Compare Manchester's biography of Churchill with the more 'official' one by Gilbert. Manchester was able to write in a way to make people seem like those you know while Gilbert presented the facts but lacked the human touch.

Alison Weir's histories also manage this to a lesser extent. Though, most historians want Joe Friday's exposition "Just the facts, Ma'am."

Biographies and histories are not as emotionally powerful as one of Lee Child's novels. As Hitchcock said, “What is drama but life with the dull bits cut out.” So for accuracy, one must wade through some dull bits. Not so in novels, at least not novels you want to read.

BJ Muntain said...

There is a contingent of science fiction readers who want their stories highly accurate. Everything must follow exact science as we know it today. They often love descriptions of space vehicles and how they run. They want to know how the space elevator was built.

This hard science fiction can be done in a satisfying way. The movie, The Martian, is hard science fiction, for example.

But when the science outweighs the story, I don't care for it. There are people who do, and that's wonderful, but I don't.

For me, the story is the most important part. The science is the background, and only important in how it impacts the story. I'm not interested in what a ship uses for fuel, unless they're running short. Then I'm more interested in how they find more fuel before they wind up drifting in space.

Cecilia Ortiz Luna said...


Not sure now what's more stressful - querying Janet or watching TV with Janet.

Steve Forti said...

Cecilia - there feels like a story brewing there. What would be the most stressful show to watch on TV with Janet?

John Davis Frain said...

This is terrific. I find myself weighing this insight against something else that's commonly heard: If a reader catches you making a mistake, they won't trust you for the rest of the story. (For example, you show a person using a revolver and later show a crime scene tech finding a casing from said revolver. Well, that doesn't fit reality, so the reader doesn't trust you later.)

But I don't think that's where Janet is going with her tale. A novelist can be accurate with the facts while taking some liberties with the emotional reactions to those facts.

I've struggled with this criticism in my critique group, but I think this is helping clear my mind. Janet, if you're looking for a critique group to join, give me a ring. We'll create an opening. (And that would be the proper satisfying resolution to this story, so there's that.)

B D MacCullough said...

Querying Janet is (insert phrase/paragraph).

I write Historical Fiction and always accommodate history with story. Facts sometimes need 'help'

Carolynnwith2Ns said...

Kathleen Marple Kalb thank you.

Now I know why fiction is such a panacea for me. Not only does writing fiction put me in control, reading it has me in a facts-be-damned world where somebody else rules the outcome.

Lennon Faris said...

In the movie A Far Off Place, the main character (Nonnie) discovers her parents were just murdered by poachers. Any kid would probably have just run away (or sat there in shock), but we saw at the beginning of the movie that she worked with explosives with her dad. So with the poachers still running around and looting the place, she takes a bunch of explosives and puts them all under their jeeps. It draws you into the story and really makes you root for her more.

Her Grace, Heidi, the Duchess of Kneale said...

I will confess my guilt in having watched Cops in the past. (When one lives in a part of the world that only had two television channels, one often chose the lesser of two evils.) Cops Down Under was interesting. Imagine our horror and delight when one particular scene looked awfully familiar...

I could have stood on my front lawn, looked down the street to the local park and watched the arrest happen, had I been aware of it at the time.

Nowadays, I'm more into Border Security, the postal version, where postal workers screen mail from overseas looking for contraband. At least they're going up against people who are trying to be clever in hiding their drug imports.

Cecilia Ortiz Luna said...


Steve - I would love to watch Janet watch Criminal Minds, apparently a problematic police procedural. I'm imagining the facial twitches.





Tim Lowe said...

I just came home from an amazing open mic with amazing old friends and checked in here to find some more. That is all.

Leslie said...

There will always be a certain number of people for whom accuracy is more important than the story.

Meet my dad! He's a retired physician, and whenever there is anything medical in any tv show, he will fact-check it.

That's not too bad. But it was the nitpicking at minor details in the movie 42, the Jackie Robinson biopic. To this day, he's still annoyed that they made one guy who didn't figure much in the story right-handed when he was really left-handed

Craig F said...

Accuracy to a point. I recently read a thriller that said there was the smell of cordite, so they knew a gun was shot.

Cordite is archaic, it didn't even get used in WWII.

Still, it was a well plotted and well written read, so I didn't say anything.

Nice to hear all of your voices in the ether.

french sojourn said...


" In theory there is no difference between theory and practice - in practice there is" (Yogi Berra)

John Davis Frain said...

"I never said half the things they said I said." (Also Yogi)

"But I have said what Hank on his french sojourn said I said." (Not Yogi)