1. Did you address it to
NO: resend it to that address
YES: Go to 1A
1A: did you send the email to more than one person at the same time as a cc or a bcc or on the TO line?
NO-go to 2
YES-resend it to me, and do not include anyone else, including yourself in any address line
2. Did you include an attachment of any kind?
NO: go to 3
YES: resend it to me without any attachments. Pages are pasted into the query itself
3. Are you someone other than the author of the book?
NO: go to 4
YES: Your query was deleted. It will not help to resend it because I do not respond to queries from anyone other than author.
4. Have you sent me email in the past, such as newsletters, cute sayings, mailing list "Send All" email?
NO: go to 5
YES: your email is likely now flagged as junk or spam. Resend the query from a new email address.
5. Have you queried me more than twice this year for the same project?
NO: go to 6
YES: your email has been flagged as junk or spam. Stop querying.
6. Have you checked your spam filter for my reply? (if you have one of those "please click here to be on my approved sender list" barriers--I didn't)
NO: go check
YES: go to 7
7. Does your query letter contain any phrase or word that would trigger MY spam filter?
NO: go to 8
YES: rewrite your query letter, resend
NO: change your account name to match your email, or get a new email address
YES: go to 9
NO: go to 10
YES: get a new email address.
10. Have you included an actual query, not just pages from your novel?
11. If you've gotten all the way down this list and nothing has been a do-over, try again. Pay attention to the things that trigger my spam filter, and the things that trigger my delete key.
Questions? ...well, I'd tell you to email me, but clearly that's a problem. You might try reaching out via Twitter: @Janet_Reid