Monday, July 11, 2022

Pitching your novel as a "crossover"


 


 

I'm seeing a marked increase in the number of queries that describe the novel as a "a crossover". (For those unfamiliar with the term it generally means a YA novel that will also appeal to readers who buy in the adult section primarily.)

 

I think queriers use this phrase to show the novel will appeal to a wider audience than "just YA" or "just adults."

 

What they don't know is when I read those words my agent eyeballs see this instead: "My novel will appeal to everyone." Savvy writers know this is just asking for an eyeroll and a guffaw.

 

So before you think "woohoo, crossover!" take this little test:

 

1. Name three novels you've read in the last three years that are called/designated/hyped as "crossovers.""

 

2. Write 100 words about what makes any one of those books a crossover, not "just YA" or "just adult."

 

3. Write another 100 words about how your book is similar to what made the example book a crossover.

 

 

You have to understand the concept before you use it effectively in a query.

 

Ready.

Set.

Go.

 

5 comments:

E.M. Goldsmith said...

Ok. I will have a go.

My novel is NOT cross-over.

There

Michael Warner said...

I now finally, FINALLY understand why monkeys have tails.

Melanie Sue Bowles said...

It wouldn't have entered my mind to query my middle grade as a crossover. (It releases this Oct). But when anyone asks me about it, after revealing the intended age group, I do add that I feel confident older kids and even some adults will enjoy it. I hope that's not eyeroll worthy.

Katja said...

I just don't mention this at all.

I sent my very first German query out on Friday. And I built it the way I learned here - started right with the blurb/pitch, no blah-di-blah kiss-kiss. In the short housekeeping part, I just wrote it's my debut novel, no crossing of anything. In the bio, I tried to be slightly humorous with one sentence. And mentioned I had lived with severe OCD for almost all my life and that I've named it "Sonja". That's the only part I mentioned OCD, leaving it out in the pitch, but the smart German speaking agent should get at this point that the character named Sonja in the pitch represents the OCD.

Oh, I did not do it the Shark way: no comps. I know next to zero books in German if not zero, in fact. And I know that I'm not getting an agent anyway, so I'm just querying a little to have the excuse for self-publishing this version as well.

I did mention that my book has appeared twice in a magazine here in the UK and that I have a blurb for it by The National Editor of The Atlantic but I'm sure it won't make a difference.

Oh well. Best of luck to all the other querying reefers here. 🤞

PAH said...

This is my issue. I don't INTEND to write cross-overs. I just prefer more adult stories / writing styles; however, the last two ideas I have had (and executed on) had teenage protagonists -- so I tried to write them as YA, and convinced myself that they would be amazing "cross-over" novels (without articulating it in that way or using that word) ... but what I think I ended up with are 2 confused books without any audience.

I don't think they are masterpieces but I believe in the stories. And they would work in film (a little thing that annoys me about publishing) ... Stranger Things, for example, would be a YA book (and not a very good one) but it can be an adulty TV show. ET is one of the best films ever made. It would have to be middle grade in publishing ... but it's just a great movie for the whole family.

Is publishing just behind? Is it just harder to market books so you have to be more precise or maybe even niche? I dunno.

Oh well.