Thursday, February 14, 2019

Agent Laggardly rides again

This relates to a non-fiction book proposal. An agent requested my full proposal back in August. I responded to the request within a few days. The agent stated that I would hear back in three months. I heard nothing for four months, at which point I wrote an email as a gentle nudge. This was in early December. Within an hour, she wrote me back and said that she really connected with my proposal, was gathering some marketing information, and expected to respond to me soon. I haven't heard from her since.


Last week -- so two months after last communication -- I wrote her a brief email updating her on some recent developments with my author platform. She has not responded. I find myself perplexed. Why would she just not respond at this point? I'm wondering if you have any thoughts, either about what might have happened or about how I might proceed.

So, is it me?
Cause I've dropped the ball like this more than once, and I'm not happy to admit it one little bit.

What you need to remember here is agents operate on two kinds of time: response time, and work time.

Response time is the amount of time left over when the other things are done.
Other things like negotiating contracts, submitting works, assessing submission spread sheets, talking to editors, talking to clients. talking clients off ledges, talking editors out of the bar.

Yanno. Work stuff.

And most often the reason agents don't reply is cause they haven't done what they said they'd do two months ago and they're embarrassed.

Or maybe that's just me.

The absolutely hardest thing I've tried to learn is to just email back and say "I didn't do what I said. I'm sorry. It's not cause I don't care about this. It's cause three clients had meltdowns this week, and I don't have any brainspan to give you right now."

For you, two months seems like an eternity. For me, two months is the flash of a minute.

Here's the trick to keeping your own self off the ledge: keep querying. Keep polishing the proposal. Keep doing the work only you can do.

KEEP BUILDING THAT PLATFORM.

If another agent snaps you up, well, Agent Laggardly took that risk by not responding.

It's not you.
It's her.

Trust me on this cause usually it's not you, it's me.


9 comments:

E.M. Goldsmith said...

And my new number #1 reason for wanting an agent is that they are

"talking clients off ledges, talking editors out of the bar."

Priceless post again.

OP, this sounds frustrating but a great place to be. Keep querying. Maybe another nudge here or there. You really are almost there.

I wonder if we should ask on the phone call if the perspective agent engages in the function of "talking clients off ledges, talking editors out of the bar" because that would be huge with me. I am pretty sure I can drive any editor to want to hide in the bar for eons on end.

Colin Smith said...

Agent Laggardi, newest recruit to S.H.I.E.L.D. Her superpowers? She can procrastinate beyond the comfort zone of most mortals, and miraculously show up to an enemy engagement at precisely the moment she is no longer needed. :)

Opie: As Janet says, you are not responsible for an agent's timely response. I get it, though. She's your "dream agent" and you don't want to miss the opportunity of working with her. But is she really your dream agent if she can't take two minutes to say: "Hey, I got your submission. Thanks for the quick response. I'm swamped so I won't be able to get to it just yet, but feel free to nudge me if you haven't heard from me in a couple of weeks"--at least to let you know she got what you sent and it wasn't swallowed by the internet?

Just a thought. All the best to you! :D

Craig F said...

Since it is Valentine's Day ( I hope all you have one and it is a source of happiness) we can talk about love being a two way street. Just because you love an Agent to distraction doesn't mean it is returned.

Keep querying until someone does return messaging, does read your work, and loves it as much as you do. Most good relationships are based on a mutual attraction to something. It will be better than sucking up to someone who doesn't return your overtures.

That said, the waiting is still the hardest part.

Timothy Lowe said...

Nudge again. This business really is like molasses, until it isn't.

John Davis Frain said...

OP, think about when you're looking for a job. It's the #1 priority in your mind. Front burner all the way.

The woman who's looking to hire you? She has 56 other things going on that need to be taken care of, and all of them are a higher, more immediate priority than filling the position you're interested in. You're not even on the back burner yet. Does she want to get that position filled? Absolutely, but there are so many other things right in front of her that need to be taken care of first.

Same way with agents. I'm not an agent, but since the first of the year I've been behind getting to a lot of people and I feel bad about it. But until March, I don't think it's gonna change.

Stop looking at the clock. Start looking at your next query.

Brenda said...

We hear stories of writers who are picked up in a matter of days and, even though we know better, we compare ourselves.
Hang in there, OP, you are in good company.
Non-fiction must be tough, as you can’t even really go to work on first project. You have my sympathies.

Panda in Chief said...

Also, keep querying. But you knew that, OP, right?
Congrats for getting this far!

Mary said...

I've accepted that the response time in publishing is often much longer than in many other industries. Even after you get an agent.

AJ Blythe said...

>>Cause I've dropped the ball like this more than once, and I'm not happy to admit it one little bit.

What you need to remember here is agents operate on two kinds of time: response time, and work time.<<

Oh my gosh, this is me right now. 'Cept tweaked a little... My to do list (including my writing) has been dropped and I'm not happy to admit it one little bit.

I have two kinds of time as well. Work time and everything else time and work time is taking up all my time. I tried to resign last week and they wouldn't let me so I need to work out a way to carve back some everything else time.