Wednesday, February 13, 2019

A small rant, followed by a dose of reality. Also, help.


Anyway, here's my backstory/question: a few months ago I went to a small, regional conference and got a 10-pg manuscript with Editor A and a query critique from Editor B. Editor B requested my manuscript whenever it was ready. Of course I went home and have been doing some *major* revisions based on A's feedback and I'm getting to a point where I need to make some decisions. 

Both of these publishers are regional publishers with a market I'm convinced I can have a decent career with (nothing fancy, of course), and they both have good working-author relations, especially for stay-at-home moms. I don't *need* an agent for either of them, but I'd prefer having one. (Word on the street though, is that Editor B's house doesn't offer advances so agents typically don't like working with them.)

Since I do have super young kids to take care of, would I be wiser to stick with a smaller, more secure market until they're a bit older before venturing into deeper water? Should I go ahead and query agents and tell them about these two publishers and/or see what other publishers would be willing to work with a less....prolific writer? I don't want to limit myself because I don't know what else is available, but I'd hate to waste an agent's time simply because of my current life choices. 

Thank you!


ok, here's what you do first.
Sit down in your writing chair.
Place your hands on your knees.
Drop your head to your desk.
Hard.
Repeat.
Repeat.
Repeat.

Now, stop.
Did that knock some sense into your head?
No?

Repeat!
Until you understand that querying an agent is NOT a waste of time.
Not yours.
Certainly not mine.

You have two editors who didn't say things like "gosh, it's good you're at this conference. Pay attention in the craft classes."

They gave you feedback, and asked to see pages.
Those are good things.

And this is why you need an agent. EVEN IF YOU DON'T THINK YOU NEED ONE.

You want to write for a good long while.
Wouldn't it be nice to have someone on your team who understands your goals, understands you're a work at home mom (which means your priority is your children, I know we both fully understand that) and you may not be churning out a book a year?

And that someone is also someone who knows a lot more people in publishing than you do?

I have clients who may just write one book but that book is one I am deeply honored to have had a hand into bringing into readers' lives. Prolific is great. Changing lives, helping people, is better. Maybe not for the bank account, but God isn't going to ask me how much money I made. She is going to ask what I did to make the world a better place for people.

So, the answer to your question is query agents. Don't get caught up in telling them about these regional publishers. Time for that later after they've fallen in love with your work.

When you've secured representation, you and your agent will strategize about the best approach to take.

And as every mom knows, planning doesn't survive booties on the ground.
No matter how carefully you plan, life is going to happen, and it's going to be messy.

That's the glory of it.



Mary Oliver said it far better than I ever will:

The Summer Day

Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean--
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down --
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
With your one wild and precious life?

20 comments:

E.M. Goldsmith said...

Wow, I love that poem. Really love it. I already want an agent so bad that I am terrified of the query trenches because maybe an agent doesn't want me. What if no one wants me? Ok, morning fears are beating me up at my desk this morning.

But, OP, get an agent. You won't have time for flying solo with your career, what with children at your feet and books to write. So much I wish I had known sooner about publishing, especially when I was a young mom wanting to write. Explain the situation in your query- last paragraph in the about me and stuff area, and I think you'll find you get more agent interest than you think. Good luck.

mhleader said...

Oh, God, I LOVE Mary Oliver. On one of my nonfiction books, I got permission to reprint her INCREDIBLE poem "The Journey" at the beginning of the book--it was a perfect setup for that book. She is one of the great poets of all time, IMO.

Carolynnwith2Ns said...

“They gave you feedback, and asked to see pages.Those are good things.
And this is why you need an agent. EVEN IF YOU DON'T THINK YOU NEED ONE.”

For those of you who have read this before, skim, skip, whatever. I think it is damn relevant.

Through NO effort of my own a bundle of drawings with captions I had entered in art show (which won awards) was acquired by a small (very reputable and HUGE now) publisher. The head of the company told me that my book would be the new Jonathan Livingston Seagull, that it would revolutionize small-book publishing. My drawings were to appear in newspapers nationwide. For the book, all I had to do was deliver more drawings, more clever captions and hilarious copy. All I had to do for newspapers was come up with one drawing per week. The publisher worked with 1200 papers I would get $5.00 per drawing.

“You will be rich and famous.” Those were their exact words.
If only 1000 accepted the drawings my take-home would have been over a quarter of million and in today’s dollars well over a million and a half. I told you I was going to be rich.

I had no idea what a literary agent was. I did not pass the contract under anyone’s nose. I signed. Why wouldn’t I?

I was so full of myself that my head would not fit through the door. I was the most famous person I knew.
I used my advance as a down payment on a silvery blue Cadillac and a beautiful pure bred white German Shepard dog.
Did I have an agent on my side pushing my ass to deliver? NO. I had a car I could not afford and a dog that bit everyone, including me. Nine months later publishing rights reverted back to me, I drove a car I could not afford and my dog was hit by a truck and died.

Moral of my story and greatest regret which haunts me to this day - that I was not a more responsible pet owner. All the rest was a test I failed.

OP search and find your agent or 47 years from now you may also be lamenting your own sad story.

Amy Johnson said...

Thanks for an especially nice post today, Janet.

OP: Wishing you the best in your search for an agent. And savor, savor, savor your time with your little ones.

Jill Warner said...

Thank you, Janet! I'll be printing this off and taping it to cover that huge red mark in the middle of my forehead.

Also, I've never heard of Mary Oliver before so I'm definitely looking up more of her work.

Beth Carpenter said...

Beautiful poem. 2Ns, wow. I just want to hug you. OP, I'm more than impressed that you produced a book while living in the same house as little ones, much less something good enough to garner this sort of attention. Best of luck with both endeavors, and enjoy the process. Before you know it, you'll be figuring how to combine book signings with college scouting trips.

Kitty said...

There might be something about February and poetry, because a year ago Janet post A different kind of flash fiction contest featuring the poem Happiness by Jane Kenyon. I wrote a poem about my "elfin granddaughter" who was 1 year old that day.

Mary Oliver's poem reminds me of when my priest asked me if I was doing what God wanted me to be doing. Without thinking I said yes. It's not that I wanted to raise my own children and then care for every one of my five grandchildren. It just turned out that way. I was beginning to feel sorry for myself, as though life was passing me by, until the Father Brown asked me that question.

My elfin granddaughter will be 3 this week. She calls me Mamoo, although no one knows why. She still rushes to greet me with smiles and giggles, and I love it. That's what I've been doing with my "one wild and precious life."

Kitty said...

Ooops, my bad. That contest was TWO years ago.

Melanie Sue Bowles said...

The Summer Day is one of my favorite Mary Oliver poems. I've said that final line to myself at least a thousand times.

OP... Excellent question, and I love the uplifting, encouraging response. Even though it wasn't intended for me, Janet, you hit me in the heart. I'd convinced myself it would be wiser if I didn't seek representation because I'm not a prolific writer. Who would want me if I wasn't penning a book a year? I simply can't with all these horses. But "changing lives, making the world a better place..." is better. Love.

2Ns... Hugs. Big hugs.

Brenda Buchanan said...

Thanks for putting that marvelous poem up today, Janet. A day always is improved by a Mary Oliver poem.

Your response to this writer also is wonderful, as ever. Keep writing, do query agents, keep the faith.

Jen said...

@CarolynnWith2Ns- Wow. I'm so sorry to hear that you experienced what you did, but how awesome that you haven't given up on publishing and are still pursuing your dream? Those qualities make you a millionaire in my book.

@OP- I started writing when my kids were in diapers. Now they're almost in middle school (Middle school??!!! Where did the time go???). My only advice would be to think about where you want to be in ten years, and who you want to be by your side. Don't sell yourself short. It's not easy getting an agent, and sometimes that bird in the hand can be awfully tempting, but in the long run having an agent by your side will be worth it. Just my two cents.

That poem though... Still wiping away the tears.

Anonymous said...

*sighs*
That banging head on desk thing? I don't need to do it physically. Because that's exactly what querying feels like.

No, it's not a waste of time. But there is a cost.

Amy Johnson said...

Jennifer, You're in good company with folk who know how tough querying can be. Keep the faith. Hugs heading your way!

Anonymous said...

Aww

Panda in Chief said...

Why does that poem bring me to tears every time I read it?

Anyway, listen to Snookums. The bird in the hand is not always worth more than those swinging on the power lines. And it will probably crap down your arm, so getting an agent might seem like more work, but you will be happier in the long run.
And a publisher with no advance? Shoes don't grow on trees.

Craig F said...

I do not go to any writers conferences, I refuse until I am an invited guest. I don't go because I fear the glamor and fairy dust of them might make me do something stoopid.

I have just begun querying, but already the waiting is the hardest part.

2nns: I am sorry.

Nice poem

Laura Martin said...


First- I love the last two lines of that poem. I have them framed on my daughter's wall.

Second- Don't let being a stay at home mom stop you. I'm about to have my fourth book published, and I have three kids under the age of four. It is doable. Nap time is writing time. When they are asleep is writing time. Any time you can sweet talk grandma into coming over is writing time.

Query agents. Its the best thing I ever did. My agent is Wonder Woman and takes care of all the things that would give me anxiety and a headache and leaves me free to write. That is the magic of the relationship.

Good luck mama. You got this.

Lennon Faris said...

Best of luck, Jill! (I think your comment meant that you are OP).

I like that poem and I am not a poetry person. I'm curious who other readers imagine is the speaker. I think it sounds like a thoughtful eleven-year-old girl. I am taking a writing hiatus this month in lieu of art. Maybe I will paint a pic of this poem next.

2Ns - thanks for sharing your story. But why do I sense that you think of your genius as a thing of the past??! I think you are a word genius now.

Stephen Parrish said...

You always give good advice, Janet, but this time you really earned your pay.

John Davis Frain said...

Wednesdays are crazy busy in my world, which is why I'm late here. But I'm so glad I time-traveled to yesterday and caught this. Your answers are always spot on, Janet, but this one was poignant as ever.

I'm unfamiliar with Mary Oliver, but I won't stay that way now.

Such great stuff here.