Wednesday, October 06, 2010

What a great piece of news!

Remember those writing contests we had so much fun with this summer?

This one in particular


Write a story, one hundred words or fewer, using these words:

Even
Tramp
Shuffle
Lair
Epic

bonus points if you can include this phrase: "Till death us do part."

The winner of that contest was probably the best entry I'd ever seen in a flash fiction contest, and a lot of you agreed with me.

And now, in the comment column today, news from the winner:

PS, four months later.

Thanks again for running this contest, Ms. Reid. I rewrote the story and it just sold to Escape Pod. Yay!


wooo hooooo!!!  Congratulations!

13 comments:

Diane Lebow said...

Wow, that's fantastic! I'm going to have to be on the lookout for your next contest.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Very cool. Congrats!

Amber J. Gardner said...

I read that winner like five times and I still don't understand the phrase "tramped a tattoo of annoyance" and who said "Us?"

Still, congrats on the sell!

Sarah W said...

That's great!

I remember reading that one out loud to myself and giggling in awe at the clever.

Jennifer Welborn said...

Congratulations! That is wonderful news.

Simon Hay said...

Wow! That's pretty cool. I enjoyed that contest.

Carolynnwith2Ns said...

She's really smart too in a physics-cal kind of way.

Hey J...I'm still waiting for my vanilla ice crean with maple syrup.
Congrats, you certainly deserve it!

Anna said...

Great news! Can't wait to read the revised story in print!

JD Horn said...

Looking forward to the next contest! Just please don't do it this weekend as I will be out of the country and without a computer. :)

Margaret Yang said...

A toast to the winner!

jjdebenedictis said...

Oh, gosh--thank you! Erm, I didn't expect any fanfare; I just wanted Ms. Reid to know I appreciated the contest. Prize-lust turned out to be a wonderful motivator!

Wry Writer: I keep scooping the ice cream into my computer's DVD drive, and the computer keeps swearing that, oh yeah, it's sent you that yummy ice cream, alright--but then it burps and snickers.

Anonymous said...

That is awesome - congrats!

Sarah Laurenson said...

How wunderbar! I love Jen's blog and her writing. Her blog's especially good for geeks like me.