Friday, February 08, 2008

Agent Kristin is right on the money..as usual

I was scouting around the blogosphere tonight and came across this post over at Kristin Nelson's on doing your own research on agents.

I'm pretty sure this guy has called me a couple times too. The first time he was very disdainful cause he hadn't heard of me and I didn't have any sales listed in the public record (duhh...I'd been an agent for all of about five minutes). The second time he mailed me something that looked like a xerox of a xerox, asking for all sorts of information. I trashed it. Then he called again. He didn't remember he'd called me before but I sure knew him. No I wasn't interested in being listed. No I wasn't going to talk to him, no I wasn't about ready to have him send my name to anyone.

Then he called again asking if my "attitude" had changed.

Nope.

For 42cents you can send me a letter and with another 42cents I'll answer.

For the truly economic minded, you can email me. Free. I answer all the queries that have my name on them.

You do NOT need a service of any kind to limit the number of people you query. In fact, it's foolish to query less not more.

1 comment:

Heidi the Hick said...

I've only ben looking for a couple of years, but I've discovered so many internet resources for agent searching. I am not making any money by writing yet, and I can't understand why I'd pay somebody to look for an agent for me. Not when there are so many excellent websites and blogs out there! For free!

Agents, I find, are helpful. That "service" couldn't be as personal as reading a blog.

(Mind you, I did get pretty close to getting scammed a couple of times at the beginning. That was before I found Miss Snark and Preditors & Editors. I'm really cheap though. I hated parting with the money, so I took a better look.)

I know better now. The net is great for getting the facts from the source. I'm not handing that over to anybody else.