Thursday, November 29, 2007

Friday Night at the Question Emporium 3

Question:

I just read your interview in 3rd Degree and something there really caught my eye. It was in your answer to questions one should ask a prospective agent:

Have you read a graphic novel, listened to a podcast or bought an e-book?

That's an interesting question to ask and suggests that I may be missing something about new media. What do you feel it says about an agent if they answer "yes" or "no" to that question?

Answer:

In my opinion an agent should be up to date on all the avenuesan authors' rights can be sold. That includes graphic novels, audio/podcasting and ebooks. It's one thing to have a passing familiarity with the terms, it's another thing to have hunted down graphic novels in Barnes and Noble, gone to itunes to lookup podcasts, and held a Sony e-reader in your hand.

It's damn easy to get complacent. We're in the middle of the most exciting revolution since movable type. How we communicate, both in form and function is changing more rapidly than any of us can fully understand. If I were agent shopping, I'd want to make sure the agent was at least trying to understand this new stuff, not sitting around saying "oh wow, times they sure are a'changin'".

I'm not saying an agent has to be expert on all this; I certainly am not. But a good agent has done more than read about a graphic novel or a podcast or an ebook in PW.

6 comments:

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

I'd love to read that interview. Is it online?

Chris Eldin said...

Me too!

ryan field said...

We are in a revolution. Well stated. There are times lately when I simply smile and pretend to understand what they're talking about...and then I run out and do the research.

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

HEY! *jumps up and down* HELLO! *shouts* ANYBODY IN THERE? *screams for attention* HELLO? HELLO? WTF? *starts getting rude* I WANNA READ THAT INTERVIEW! WHERE IS IT? *reduced to begging* PLEASE? *whimpers*



Ver: doesn't say anything, but looks cool: pnnyyx

Janet Reid said...

ok, it's posted.

Dharma Kelleher said...

I realize you published this post back in November, but I had a follow up question.

How does podcasting one's novel affect one's chances of securing a publishing contract? Would a publisher and/or agent be more likely to sign an author or less likely if the novel has been podcast (assuming the story is compelling and well-written, of course)?