Saturday, January 21, 2006

Jeff Somers and The Electric Church

Jeff Somers is a wild man, there's just no doubt about it. I met him in my slush pile; frankly I was afraid not to sign him so I did. I tried quite hard to keep him from being published but Warner just threw money at us till I couldn't reach the delete key, and now there's a contract.

One last hope remains. Can Jeff have an author photo that is so truly and utterly accurate that no one will be tempted to buy The Electric Church?

Here are Jeff's comments on the situation:

I also have to get some professional photos taken for the publicity and possibly the book, though I am so fearsomely unphotogenic I doubt they'll be foolish enough to do that. It's a little silly, having photos done, but I gots to do it, and I'm sure I'll get an article for TIS out of the experience, so there's that.

It's also a little silly, but I don't want to be recognizable in those pictures. I know my chances of becoming famous off this book are slim, but I don't want to take any chances. I want to remain anonymous to an extent, and the way to do that

is to start taking measures now.

I'm thinking of wearing a chicken costume, but we'll see if my agent will allow that.

An inspired idea.
Anyone know where we can rent Big Bird's sister?

1 comment:

WagerWitch said...

Skipped over from Ms. Nelson's blog.

I think, and it is just an idea - that to hide your author's face and keep him a mystery would be fairly easy.

Examples:

Trench Coat with the collars turned up to hide the jawline and body/neck structure - low slung fedora, shading the face - dark Blue's brother's glasses to hide the eyes.

Clown make-up always does a splendid job.

Depending on any characters within the book, he could make himself up, with a professional make-artist to look like one of the characters --- or to any character he should choose.

Go online and search out masks - buy an obviously very well used or very well known fake, rubbery type of mask... and use it for every cover publicity shot.

That way he can still do book fairs, etc.

Or... he could wear a wig, dress up like a girl - and never tell anyone he is a male. LOL!

I dunno - big bird just doesn't do it. But it's funny.

Have a splendid day - and you're about to get tagged now by every possible writer out there in the market - now that your website has been placed on the BLOG LIST from Ms. Nelson's site. So good luck.

And have a lot of fun.

Lady M