Thursday, January 31, 2008

Looking to change agents?

I did a quick q&a at Writers Digest recently. I can always tell when one of my self-promo things hits the RSS feeds cause I get a spike in "I want to change agents" kinds of queries.

Sorry, not quite right for me.

I'm sorry you think your current agent is A. an incompetent boobie B. a cold cruel callous bitch who could make Miranda Priestly weep or C. not properly appreciative of your magnificence.

Well, I'm A, B and C, not to mention D) not interested in people who fail to understand talking to someone who is already represented is not how I conduct my business.

If you truly believe you need to make a change (and I now represent people who were elsewhere earlier in their careers) there are two things to know: you must let your old agent know you are severing the relationship; and, do not fire off an email to every agent under the sun saying you're looking. ALL my clients who started elsewhere came to me through more personal contact.

That means if you're shopping for a new agent, you better hit some writing conferences to meet agents face to face, or ask your editor for some introductions or something that will make your overture something other than "not right for me."

No comments: