Tuesday, November 20, 2007

What the H were you thinking?

..when you sent me a disc (unsolicited) with your manuscript on it.
Do you really think I'm going to put a disc in my hard drive from someone I don't know? This qualifies as insulting. You must think I'm an idiot! Well, ok the feeling is mutual.


...when you send me query letters that are addressed to an address that is five years out of date? Worse, you sent it DHL courier, so you disturbed the people who are there, who signed for it, and let me know. I told them to not sign for stuff again. They don't need to feel responsible for you using outdated indexes or guide books. Even if you ARE using a guide book, which are out of date the minute they go to press, at least use the one with this year on the cover. Hint: it's not 2004. It's not even 2006.

...when you send me a query letter saying "I know I'm supposed to include an SASE" but I'll spare you the trouble of replying if you aren't interested. Well, ok, I'm sparing myself from reading your query. It's one thing to forget an SASE. It's one thing to not know you need one. It's entirely different to send me a WRITTEN query without one cause you don't want to. If you really hate the idea of spending .41 to find out your writing stinks, send the query by email.

...when you send me a query saying your work will be appreciated by anyone who's had to deal with life's ups and downs. Well, there's a charming way to say "my book appeals to everyone". Instant rejection of course. It doesn't appeal to me. Maybe cause I've never experienced life's ups and downs. Ya. That's it.

I appreciate query letters are hard to write well, but some of this stuff just demonstrates a basic lack of fact grasping.

16 comments:

Kaleb Nation said...

Headache! You should recommend this page:

http://agentquery.com/format_tips.aspx

It's basic but at least it's a good start for those who need to learn the rules.

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

I am always so relieved and happy when I read through one of these lists, and nothing I've done is on it. :-)

Happy Thanksgiving, Janet. Hope you have a festive day.

Chris Eldin said...

This is interesting. I've been wondering if guidebooks are becoming obsolete because of the internet.

Kitty said...

I just want to wish everyone here a Happy Thanksgiving!

...

Susan Adrian said...

Southern Writer: my sentiments exactly! (whew)

ryan field said...

I saw a query the other day where the writer broke ALL the rules. I used to think it was lack of knowledge, but I'm starting to think it's just stupidity.

Alice said...

Time to restock the clue emporium.

Realistic Writer said...

It would have been fine if you spelled out the word "hell" in your post title.

Mags said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, Janet, and to the people who inhabit the office you worked out of five years ago.

Chris Eldin said...

Happy Thanksgiving!! I hope you're able to kick back and relax for a few days. :-)

Dead Man Walking said...

I guess the one thing to remember is this: Every day, dozens of people with no industry experience "finish" writing the first book they've ever written. 95% of these folks will start pitching them to agents before the book is ready. More than half of the rest will pitch without fully researching the querying process or the agents they're pitching to. Meanwhile, they're drunk with impatience, euphoria and unrealistic expectations due to writing in isolation and letting only their family members critique their work. Meanwhile, their family and friends are egging them on, constantly asking them why they're not published yet. I'm not knocking these people. Heck, I was one of them four or five years ago.

My point is, no matter how many writing websites or educational query-related blogposts there are on the web, agents are going to forever be dealing with these first-time writers who are plunging into the deep-end of the publishing world before they're ready.

So, this Thanksgiving, let's give thanks for agents like Janet, Nathan Bransford, Jessica Faust, Miss Snark, Kristin Nelson, and all the others who have helped educate thousands of us over the years, as well as gently set our expectations along the way.

Thanks, Janet.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Janet!

I'm thankful for everyone in the industry who make us newbies look slightly less pathetic. Thanks!

KIM

Bernita said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Miss Reid Dear.

The Anti-Wife said...

Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for continuing to educate us.

Anonymous said...

I just finished the Kite Runner.

I suck. I'll save you the time and keep writing.

Chris Eldin said...

Someone googled me looking for your picture.
I hope they left quite satisfied.
:-)