Thursday, November 29, 2007

"Tell me about your book," is NOT a trick question

One of the universal requirements of a query letter is "describe the book" or "tell the agent about the book."

Describe the book does NOT mean "it's thrilling"; "it's a page turner"; "it's the best thing since whiskey flasks shaped like Evian bottles."

It means tell me about the story. Who's the protagonist. Who's the antagonist. How do they clash. What are the stakes.

I've gotten a rash of query letters that sound like advertisements for sexual aids, I swear. I made the mistake of writing back and asking for a brief paragraph on what the book was about. In return I got an email asking if I wanted to see the synopsis.

No, no I don't. If I'd wanted to see the synopsis, I would have said "send me the synopsis."

Have foot, shoot same. `

3 comments:

Mags said...

I've gotten a rash of query letters that sound like advertisements for sexual aids, I swear.

I hate spam. Once upon a time that alone would have made up for the query mis-fires. Now, between promises of naked Lindsay Lohan pictures and offers of manhood enlargement, who's got the time or inspiration anymore.

That's just not right.

Ray said...

I have to say that one of the most valuable sessions in the New England Crimebake was the session on creating a pitch.

I've had about 20-years of experience in marketing and have created many product positioning statements. Even so, I really never got the idea of a book pitch until that session.

BTW, Janet. Thanks for helping with that session.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Ray! That's it?? No hints? No tidbits? Pleeease? I'm in New England. Buy you a Harpoon lager and chat pitches? :)