Monday, August 21, 2023

Blurbs

 


 

How much weight we should give to blurbs or recommendations for a novel from other authors.

 

I see so many blurbs for any given novel that are by writers from either the same agent's or the same publisher's stable.

 

** you're an anomaly in that you notice these things. Most general readers do not.

 

While I understand, and do believe, that authors most often do genuinely love the works of fellow authors (and are rooting for them), I sometimes wonder whether pressure is put upon them to say something positive about their stable mates regardless of how they really feel about the book. And even if an author doesn't share an agent or editor/publisher, isn't asking someone to blurb a book kind of like putting them on the spot/in a corner?

 

**asking for blurbs is an art form. When I go hunting for blurbs, I know I'm asking for a huge favor, not just their reading time but also lending their name/endorsement to something.

 

And if the writer doesn't like they book, they are under NO obligation to lie/obfuscate.

 

I see this mostly from the other side: my authors asked to blurb a book that turns out to be something they do NOT want to do.

 

That's why I have my writers run blurb requests through me. If they don't want to blurb, I am the one to reply with an artful decline.

 

 

 

I can only assume that if an author politely declines to blurb (does this ever happen?)

**hell yes

 

it would make them seem ungenerous and mean.

**no it does not.

 

I know that if I were in that position, I would fabricate something nice to say about a book I didn't connect with or thought was lacking.

 

** your agent will smack you on the snout should you reveal this to them.  Your name and endorsement have value. The last thing you want to do is undercut that value by endorsing a book you do not love. Chances are your reader won’t love it either.

 

It's not a big deal. I have worked in marketing (outside of the literary world) and understand the whole "process". But in the regular marketing world it's quite out in the open that X (celebrity) is being paid Y (amount of money) to endorse Z (product or brand). In the literary world, I wonder if authors are being constantly put upon to deliver positive blurbs for books they might secretly dislike.

 

**PAID??? Authors are not paid for blurbs. Not now. Not ever. Never.

Celebrities aren't paid to endorse books either.

If someone offered my clients money to endorse a book, I would tell them of course but I'd recommend saying no.  For starters being paid has to appear in the ad. The FTC requires that now. And it completely eliminates any value for the blurb.



 

 

As to your first question: how much attention should you give blurbs?

As much as you want to. Authors aren't paid to write them, and generally do not blurb books they don't like. Sure, there's some sense of obligation to blurb a book if it's edited by your editor, but savvy successful writers are pretty deft about not doing things they think will harm them.

 

 

But if the research holds, blurbs aren't worth much for gaining readers. The number one way to build sales and visibility is still word of mouth. People you know talking about books they liked.

 

That's one of the reasons I'm heartbroken that Twitter is in intensive care. It was a great place to see people talk about books they loved.

 

Some of that is still there but it's waning as the algorithms play havoc with what tweets are visible and people leave for other platforms.

 

 

 

 

16 comments:

CynthiaMc said...

Janet, I've missed you. I see I'm late to the party, but better late than never. Hugs to you and all The Reefers - I've missed you all too!

Kitty said...

I don't read blurbs. Period.

I make my decision after I've read the first page. And sometimes I decide after reading the first sentence.

E.M. Goldsmith said...

Thank you for this today. My publicist has not pushed me to get blurbs for my book, and now I understand why. I had been meaning to ask her for weeks. And I did NOT want to do it. It seems such an imposition. With all they have to write/read already.

My publicist (J.J. Hanna - she's amazing so shouting her out here) did have me set up on social media all over the place which I never realized how uncomfortable that would be. I am very sad about Twitter/X as it is not very useful anymore for talking books. Not even as good for me cheering for Liverpool anymore as people are leaving the platform in significant numbers. Or so it seems.

I feel so out of my element in the marketing arena even with an excellent publicist. I can't ever express my gratitude to this blog over the years. It really takes the curtain back on every step of this process.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Theresa said...

I'm sad about losing the book community on the bird site, too. I'm still holding on there, hoping for a turnaround.

I do pay attention to blurbs, but only as one part of the other things I evaluate when deciding if I want to read a book.

I've had to provide publishers with suggestions of authors to blurb my books, but luckily I haven't had to make those contacts myself. And luckily, I've received good, generous ones. I've also blurbed several books, sometimes with the requests coming from the author, sometimes from the publisher. Those all turned out well and I could honestly write nice things about the books.

K. White said...

I have never bought a book based on its author blurbbing another author's book. I treat book blurbs like I treat online product reviews: Most sound fake, so I ignore them.

I left Twitter long ago. I had wondered if the literary community still congregated at X, but I couldn't find any news articles on the subject. Is there one particular social media site that writers are now favoring?

John Davis Frain said...

I suspect that, just like nobody buys products based on the advertising, nobody buys books based on the blurbs.

For my part, I'm a sucker for both. So put an ad of blurbs in front of me and I'll be running to the bookstore to get my copy. (And I do mean running as my car retired this month. Without even giving two weeks' notice.)

Craig F said...

I had one blurb draw me in ages ago. It was because it was from someone I am friendly with, who also happens to be a very well known writer. He also wrote a blurb for me when he read a thriller I tried to market.

That blurb did add a new writer to my life and I am enriched by it.

In this digital world we are in now I don't think blurbs matter. You have already acquired that book before you even see the blurbs on the inside, which kind of defeats the point of them.

SDK said...

Fantastic insight. I've always been curious about this process from the blurbing author's POV. This answers so much. Thank you.

Beth Carpenter said...

I don't pay much attention to blurbs, but if the name of an author I love happens to jump out at me in the blurbs, it does get that book a second look.

I'm still hanging in at twitter (or X or whatever silly name they're calling it) if only to see how badly Janet is beating me at wordle everyday.

Barbara Etlin said...

I don't pay much attention to blurbs. I do pay attention to books that you, Janet, recommend. And I usually like them.

I also pay attention to books that are recommended by the readers of this blog and I've found many books that were wonderful.

Her Grace, Heidi, the Duchess of Kneale said...

Blurbs on books don't really do anything for me. But blurbs elsewhere often catch my attention. Someone blurbs on their blog (in their space, on their own nickel), that says something to me.

I drifted away from the twits. I know a lot of people who abandoned it for Mastodon, but I couldn't be bothered with that jump. I did bother about Threads. I even converted to Insta so I could be on Threads, though TikTok was the big buzz at RWAus last weekend (that and the Matildas' win).

I wonder if I'd trust the recommendations on BookTok (their space, their nickel)? It seems it's quite a driving force at the moment, or so I've heard.

My issue is finding the time to indulge in socials, primarily as a long-term marketing tactic. I have to balance what little time I have between creating new books and promoting them, all the while, sacrificing too much time to the day job so I can eat.

Ash Complin said...

As a reader, I tend to use blurbs backwards.

Sure, if there is an author I recognize on a book's cover, I might pick it up. More often, I tend to read a book, and if I like it, I see who blurbed it. Because they liked a book I like, I'll look up their books to see if wrote something similar that interests me.

BJ Muntain said...

If the blurb is written by an author I admire, it will give me more impetus to check out a book, but I buy based on word of mouth and if the description is enticing.

I'm still on X/Twitter. I've been on since 2008. I'll probably be on until the end, or until I no longer have anyone I care to follow. I used to get all my local political news there, but I think they've all left.

A lot of book people are moving to Blue Sky, but since it's still in development, it's invitation-only. I haven't been able to get an invitation yet. It's being developed by the same fellow who created Twitter. So I have hopes for it.

Until then, I'm on Threads and Mastodon, though Facebook most often. I'm BJMuntain on all these sites, if anyone is looking for someone bookish to follow.

french sojourn said...


My first thought after reading what happens if a writer doesn't care for a book;

Now that would be a fun exercise, creating odd blurbs...

( waves to all the reefers!)
Cheers! Hank

Steve Forti said...

I'll echo Beth here. I don't pay attention to blurbs, but if I'm on the fence about something and there's an author I like that I see has blurbed about it, it does sometimes tip the scales in favor of giving it a shot. It's the equivalent of word of mouth. But I need to already be considering the book.

Beth Carpenter said...

Ash Complin, I do that, too. Which I guess is one of the reasons authors are willing to go to all the work of reading an advance copy and writing a blurb. It gives their own work more visibility.