Monday, June 19, 2023

Blog post: publishing as a class project


 

I'm currently a student in a creative writing program, and as a senior project, we write a book. It's traditional in the program to self-publish that book on Amazon, buy some print copies, and give them to your friends to celebrate all your work in the program.

 

I'm just starting on my project, and I do really want to self-publish with my classmates and have the full experience. However, I've also read your blog enough to know that self-publishing should be done wisely. I know that anything I self-publish is unlikely to sell very well unless I put in a lot of extra time and effort.

 

Furthermore, I admit that my pipe dream would be to get a traditional publishing contract for this novel. But unless I chose to skip the self-publishing part of this program (which again, sounds really fun) I'd probably need to publish my project before any agents would even get back to me.

 

Which means I'd be shopping around a novel that's already been self-published. Aim at foot, shoot.

 

This program's project wasn't designed with these concerns in mind. Most kids my age probably don't care about future marketability. Me, though? I'm worried I'm going to self-publish a novel I really love and then have it haunt me forever.

 

Should I avoid self-publishing now, and hold out for a future traditional publish? Should I make peace with the idea that this book just won't go anywhere, and that I could sell something else one day? Should I take the leap of faith and see if anyone will pick up a previously self-pubbed book? Should I stop worrying about it, and (as I ended my question last time) put this whole publishing thing on a back burner and wait 'til I'm older?

 

Thanks again for all you do. It might seem like just a blog to you, but I truly learned so much from all of your writing. You really made a difference for me as a kid, and I hope I can put everything I learned to use one day.

 

You get an A+ for asking an interesting question.

 

I'm not sure there's a right/wrong answer here.

For starters, you didn't mention if there's a downside, in terms of your grade for the program, if you don't publish.

 

If it's going to mess with your GPA, do publish. Your GPA now has a higher priority than something which might/maybe/not happen down the road.

 

If you do elect to publish (for whatever reason), you can wait a suitable length of time and then take the book off Amazon.

Yes, it will still be findable for those nosy Parkers who like to suss out every youthful peccadillo, but the hell with them.

 

IF you want to query this novel at a later time you can say:

 

An early version of this novel was published as part of a class project in my creative writing program.  My mom bought the entire print run.

 

Publishing this before you query will NOT kill you, particularly if it's a class project.

 

Even I, purse-lipped rejector of previously published books, give young folks/students a break on something like this.

 

The reason for that is NOT that I am nice and kind (I absolutely am not.) It's that a project like this doesn't make me think you've exhausted the buyer pool. You probably aren't even IN the buyer pool.

 

Which means do NOT publicize this, tout it on social media, buy copies for your Christmas list, and DO discourage Mum from buying more than one copy (Good luck with that!)


Any questions?

 

 

There are always exceptions to rules and guidelines.

This is one of them.

 

 

13 comments:

AJ Blythe said...

Interesting question and answer. I wish when I'd been a creative writing teen there had been the internet to spur me on. In a little country town in Oz the best I could do was enter the local show (which I did - I even won a ribbon). The idea of actually writing and publishing a book was something I thought was not even a possibility. I had to wait for the internet to open a "door of possibility" for me.

Good on you, OP, for being so level headed. Maybe your creative writing book won't be the one that kicks down doors, but with an attitude like that, it won't be long before you do.

Theresa said...

Best of luck, OP, both in the present and future. I hope that the book brings all good things for your writing career.

John Davis Frain said...

Haha, this cracks me up.

"The reason for that is NOT that I am nice and kind (I absolutely am not.)"

I'd whisper the truth to you, OP, but I'd prolly get fin-whipped and sent to Carkoon, so I'm not saying a word.

BJ Muntain said...

Hey, OP - do follow Janet's wise advice. As she said, you can take it down again in the future.

A couple thoughts:

1) Note that Janet said, in her suggested wording in your future query, "a previous version" has been self-published. By the time you're ready to query this novel, your skills will have improved (they're improving all the time). You will most likely want to revise this novel, so the novel you're submitting won't be exactly the same novel you self-published. It will be a better version.

2) Or, you may write another novel, query that one, and get an agent that way. Then when your new agent asks what else you have - tada!

Wishing you the best of luck on realizing your dreams!

Stephen Parrish said...

Consider publishing only a digital version of the book; it can be unpublished and removed at the click of a button. A print version, including POD, can be unpublished but the record of its publication cannot be removed.

Kelly said...

Ingram spark now has a self-publishing option where the printing really is just for you. There's no way to search the book or for others to buy it. It's not listed anywhere. It sounds like a great solution for OP.

Her Grace, Heidi, the Duchess of Kneale said...

More good news for you, OP: This will not be the only novel you ever write. You will write more (how could you not?) and with every novel you improve as an author. Like Kelly said, there are places you can get a few copies printed for vanity's sake that won't affect your publishing record. Goodness knows I've got a couple of novels I've done for exactly that reason.

But yes, if you want to go the trad route, please do. Meanwhile, get started on that next novel.

E.M. Goldsmith said...

I was going to suggest the IngramSpark option but someone beat me to it. Great question and great answer. I miss you all. And, John Davis Frain - are you ever not banished to Carkoon? I thought you and Colin had pretty much taken over the place. :)

Steve Forti said...

So does the Ingram Spark option not count as having been published? Like if you only print 2 copies just for yourself of something because you want a cool-looking version of it instead of going to Staples for a spiral bound version of your final draft, it doesn't generate as ISBN and be considered self-published? It's not public? Because that would be nice to sit on the bookshelf in the interim (or for the old, unsold ones), without counting against you as poorly sold and no longer a debut author for when you actually land an agent with a good book.

E.M. Goldsmith said...

Steve,

It does not count as published, I believe, until you assign and ISBN from appropriate authority and distribute the book. I think, at IngramSpark, you can upload a file and order a copies. This is done a lot by Indie authors to do proofread their books before agreeing to publish it. So while IngramSpark will assign you an id that serves as a kind of ISBN, unless it is from an authority like Bowker, it won't come up on searches. I believe that is right. Janet can check this for me. And I think you can just upload your files (text and cover) without an ISBN at all. There's a fee but it's way cheaper than printing and binding at Staples or something like that. And a cool idea, I think, for your projects that ended up in the junk drawer.

Kelly said...

From my understanding of this FAQ on the Ingram Spark website, the book is not "published."

"If you don’t plan to offer your book for sale, IngramSpark offers a free SKU. This provides an identification number for your book within our systems but isn’t for retailer use. If you change your mind and want to offer your book for sale later, you can always assign an ISBN to your title then."

Steve Forti said...

Thanks Kelly. That would be awesome. Janet, any chance you can confirm we wouldn't be shooting ourselves in the foot with this?

Kitty said...

I agree with BJ: your writing will improve by the time you think about shopping it around. I do it all the time.

Good luck, OP!