Wednesday, July 13, 2022

signature lines



Signature lines are a very under-utilized promotion method.

I saw 150 signature lines (or lack thereof) in the recent drawing for Allison K Williams' 7 Drafts book.

Some were terrific, some had real problems, and a lot of you are NOT using them at all.

Here are some examples of good sig lines:

Our very own John Davis Frain

Here's a site for sore eyes: johndavisfrain.com


Why this works:

It's funny, it asks ONE thing: click on his website.


******

Here's another that works well:

Amanda Hosch

MABEL OPAL PEAR AND THE RULES FOR SPYING, Capstone Young Readers

Fresh and entertaining. . . Hosch works humor and suspense into the story, along with appealingly quirky characters and intriguing spy communications that will leave armchair detectives hooked and happy. -BOOKLIST

On sale now at indies, big boxes, and online booksellers

amandahosch.com


Why this works:
It's got a concise review (Booklist) and tells you it's available.

It's a clear, concise call to action

*****

Here's one that defies that rule of concise:

April Michelle Davis

Lifetime Member, American Copy Editors Society

Virginia Chapter Coordinator, Editorial Freelancers Association

Contributing Member, Christian Proofreaders and Editors Network

Past-Chair, Mid- & South-Atlantic Chapter, American Society for Indexing

Executive Director, National Association of Independent Writers and Editors



But let me tell you I fell on this with glee.

I want to know a copy editor, or at least know how I can find one.

This is a good example for a signature line if you're offering expertise, not a product.

(A book is a product).


*****

Another good example

Kaye George, National Best-selling & Agatha-nominated mystery author~~

http://kayegeorge.com/~~

Sign up for my newsletter above (or on facebook)

Why this works:
It's concise and there's a clear call to action (sign up for my newsletter)


*****

And this is just great because it's hilarious: Writer of Wrongs!

The jpg for the books work because the titles are short.

"Award winning" instead of slathering on all the awards.







I'm reminded of a scene from the vastly underrated movie Boiler Room




The next drawing I run is going to ask for your email to have a signature line to qualify!


15 comments:

nightsmusic said...

I lifted this from a friend many years ago and made a few modifications because it was so perfect. Until I have something substantial enough, and it's looking less and less like I ever will, this will have to do.

There are only two groups of people in this world that hear voices in their heads-schizophrenics and writers...and sometimes, the line between the two is VERY thin.

Timothy Lowe said...

Sheesh, following this blog is like taking a full-on marketing course for writers. Done and done in about five minutes. Thank you Janet!

E.M. Goldsmith said...

Great advice as per usual. Stuff we can really sink our teeth in.

Katja said...

Oh yes I have had a signature line for a while now and I'm so proud to say that the Shark also once approved of it.
🥰

Melanie Sue Bowles said...

My signature line leads to the sanctuary, which has a book page. I'm wondering if I should work on highlighting (separating?) my books.

Thanks for this!

Theresa said...

Oooh, just went to tweak mine!

John Davis Frain said...

nightsmusic,

There's a line between schizophrenia and writing? I agree it's thin. Might be blurry, too.

Miles O'Neal said...

Wow. I've had email signatures for years on other accounts in other places; I have no idea why I never added one to my author account with gmail. Thanks, Janet.

AJ Blythe said...

I have a signature line, although not as clever as John Davis Frain. I am sighing in relief I didn't get to the end of Janet's post and have to slink away to rectify, lol.


AJ Blythe​
Living Down Under can be deadly!
ajblythe.com | @AussieCozy

Steve Cromwell said...

Really glad to know that you can be creative with signatures!

For an extra tip, writers should make sure their signatures are updated. An editor friend's signature went to her novel's page on her author website (no website there anymore) and her Twitter account (also not there anymore).

Her Grace, Heidi, the Duchess of Kneale said...

I feel comforted that I included a signature years ago:

Heidi Wessman Kneale, Author
email address here
http://romancespinners.blogspot.com
@heidikneale


However, I have realised, it needs a lot more personality. While mine does have pertinent info, and I am contactable (which Janet has proven to me once long ago), it is as plain as SMF.

Personality is hooky and memorable. I am in awe of some of the clever lines others have put in. I do have a clever branding line, and I am thirty-six different kinds of fool for not having it, or maybe links to my newsletter signup or book-buy pages, in my signature. Will amend on the morrow.

"When I've had too much of reality, I open a book."

Colin Smith said...

This comment is a test of typing an interrobang in Blogger comments‽

Colin Smith said...

An interrobang: ‽

Colin Smith said...

Test for an interrobang ‽

Colin Smith said...

Test for an interrobang: ‽