Thursday, June 18, 2020

Hi Janet,

I had another question for you. Is it possible to query a novel based on an existing video game franchise? My favorite franchise was cancelled many years ago with a cliffhanger ending, and many, including myself, have wanted to have the story resolved.
I've seen unofficial novels done for Minecraft, though I'm not sure how the copyright for that sort of thing works. Is a book based off a franchise (especially a cancelled one) something agents would tend to avoid?

Though I would think something with previous brand recognition and a built-in cult following would actually be a positive, marketing-wise.

Thanks for your time!

There are a number of unofficial books set in the Minecraft universe (in the link below.) Though, my book isn't based on that franchise. Do you know how they were able to avoid the copyright issues? Is there a way for an agent to get permission from the company that owns the game?

No comments: