Tuesday, June 04, 2019

"Ok, I believe you now"

I've been querying, revising and resubmitting, and waiting (and waiting...) with a manuscript that had R&R requests from several agents. It's been a task, to say the least, keeping everything sorted as to which R&R's I wanted to pursue, which agents had which requested versions, which agents have yet to be queried with this way better verson, etc.

In the midst of me learning new patterns in which to anxiously twiddle my thumbs... my inbox lit up with the pink 'full request' marker I use in Gmail. 

My heart skipped several beats, thinking it might be a reply from an agent who has an R&R from me.

...it was a reply from an agent who had the very first version of the manuscript, which I sent them 14 months ago.

I'd nudged them once, a year ago, with no response. 

It turns out agents do respond to manuscripts they've had in their inbox for ages. 

I'd like to now present you with this well-earned ticket: YOU WERE RIGHT.*

*redeemable for 1 prize at the You Were Right prize booth. No cash value. Void where prohibited.

Believe it or not, after all the work I've done on this manuscript, all the revision, all the waiting, it was really nice having a surprise reply that said, 'It's not for me, but I still had fun reading it.'



4 comments:

MA Hudson said...

'I still had fun reading it' almost sounds like fan mail. At least, that's the way I'd chose to take it.
You never know, that agent might be first in line with a glowing review after your book is published.

E.M. Goldsmith said...

Wow. How interesting. What a journey. Can't wait to hear when you land that puppy.

Anonymous said...

Wow. So there's a whole new world of "interesting but not for me" even after you start getting full requests.

Brenda said...

OP, I’m in the same boat, and it is a juggling match. I decided not to have multiple potential drafts floating around, though. If an R&R resonated with me, I rewrote and went forward with that ms, ditching other drafts. If it didn’t, I declined.
I’m wondering if the next stage (submitting to publishers) is the same.
The process sounds horrendous but it really isn’t. It’s like school. I’ve learned a ton from agent comments.
The tough bit, I find, is to put that ms behind me and move forward on another WIP.
Brenda