Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Query Question: more bad info, this time on self-pub and series


I wrote a book that was the pilot for a trilogy. I self-published it before I was fully informed of all my options. Now, I know that I probably can't ethically get the first book republished, but does that mean my other two books in the trilogy are doomed to never be traditionally published?




what??? What the hell do you mean you can't "ethically get the first book republished?" Who told you that? Never listen to that idiot again.


Now, realistically it's VERY hard to get an agent or a publisher interested in book two without having pubbed book one, BUT the reason has nothing to do with ethics. It's sales.


What you want to do right now is promote the hell out of this first book, get sales numbers that attract some attention and you'll have no problem selling book one to a new publisher.


Sheesh, some of the bad info that's floating around out there makes me wish for a cyber version of Noah's flood so we can start over with a clean slate.

Also, you didn't write a book that was a "pilot" for anything. That's tv talk. Learn your terms or you sound ill-prepared to enter the world of print publishing.



13 comments:

Carolynnwith2Ns said...

I love, love, love what Kyler said yesterday, you are the Ann Landers of publishing.
I would go as far to say,(plus Ann), you're the Emily Post, Bob Vila, Heloise, Dr. Spock,(baby not Vulcan)and Dr. Ruth of the publishing world for us neophytes.

So when the hell are you going to write a damn book about all this stuff?

Colin Smith said...

Carolynnwith2Ns: Actually, Barbara Poelle is publishing's Agony Aunt (if you haven't read her column in Writer's Digest, you really should). Janet is more like the Simon Cowell of publishing. After all, Simon was the most popular judge on American Idol because he didn't take any crap and told it like it is. :)

And I'll say it again: the two of them need to write a "Dummy's Guide" to publishing. :)

Susan Bonifant said...

I'm with Colin.

Terri Lynn Coop said...

Ohhhhh . . .

Kvetchers in the Wry: A practical guide to slithering your way onto the reef of publishing, picking the right handbag, and marrying Jack Reacher.

by: The Divine Ms. Reid and Poelle

Colin Smith said...

@Terri: LOL!!! That's excellent! :D

Michael Di Gesu said...

So true... I like the idea of a tidal wave crashing through the publishing industry!!!!

Lance said...

Go, Terri! However, I'm against the book idea. This blog is perfect.

Terri Lynn Coop said...

The auction for movie rights should be epic . . .

Christina Seine said...

Oh I dunno, Carolynnwith2Ns - I think you include MR Spock too. I can easily picture the venerable Ms Reid as a sharp-eared Vulcan ... the calm, badass voice of reason doing that cool shoulder-grip-body-dropping thing, battling stupid by boldly blogging where no agent has gone before.

Christina Seine said...

Too bad there is not a "like" button for comments. Kvetchers In the Rye ... that's awesome.

DLM said...

I was going to say it, but Unknown beat me. I'd bet a mint Janet has a seriously dangerous eyebrow, when raised.

Carolynnwith2Ns said...

BUT...can she do the Vulcan salute?
Both hands, not just one.
Hey Colin I have read BP, she's great.
Kvetchers in the Wry...hahahahaha, FANtastic.

Ha, Simon Cowell with an appetite for chum and krill and dumb-asses, that's her, I love it.

Unknown said...

A wonderful response! It does leave me wondering though...how many sales does it take to have 'attraction'? Granted, some of the more prominent agents would require more than a new agent, but surely there's a rule of thumb?