Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Contest entries (so far) part six

Qtrdmn 7:04pm


 a poem for a girl

HARD TO BELIEVE
in MEMORY'S WAKE
down FIREFLY LANE
where THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO
ran CROSS COUNTRY
INTO THE DARK
with THE HELP
of PLAIN KATE--why?
her heart was STOLEN
her CLOCKWORK HEART
is now CATCHING FIRE
with the CHILDREN OF CAIN.














-----------------

Adriana 8:06pm

THE HISTORY OF LOVE:

THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN TOWN,
SNOW FALLING ON CEDARS,
LEAVES OF GRASS
THE COLOR PURPLE,
like LABYRINTHS
of FIRE.
“BELOVED,” I whispered,
and EVERYTHING BEAUTIFUL BEGAN AFTER.
















------------------
Kate 8:15pm

And the Ass Saw the Angel
Too Close to the Falls.
The River Ophelia
Tumbling
From Crow Lake
To The Deep End of the Ocean.
"Paint Your Wife,"
Said Lolita
(Not Her Real Name)
"It will be Better Than This,
Looking for Trouble
On Paper Wings."










-------------------
Krag 8:19pm

To find the King’s Peace

The Golden Fool challenged

The Fires Of Heaven and the Lost King’s Ghost Legion.

This fair-haired, Secret Sharer

Was Embraced By The Light

Of The Gathering Storm.

A Shadow Rising

Led to The Towers of Midnight

Between the Deadhouse Gates

In The Heart Of Darkness.

Elements Of Style

Were dipped in Quicksilver,

To dance on The Knife of Dreams.

The Exiles sailed on a Ship Of Destiny, and

The Fool’s Errand

Led him to The King’s Test.

The Hand Of Chaos seized

The King’s Sacrifice,

And enticed him into The Iron Tower.

The Fool’s Fate pushed him

Into the Path Of Daggers,

And A Storm Of Swords.

He winked at The Eye Of The Hunter, and

Lunged Amok Into The Forge of the maelstrom.

He clashed with Destiny during Winter’s Heart,

Only to suffer A Feast For Crows.

And returned on a Ship Of Magic

As the Speaker For The Dead













-------------

Jessica 8:36pm

































--------

Meri 8:45pm

AFTER THE STORM recedes
BRAZEN VIRTUE bids me forward
as a KAT BURGLAR steals
my NIGHT SHIELD
I venture on, MASTERING THE ZONE
with NOBLE COURAGE
as A TIGER'S EYE
lays in TRIBUTE to THE WAY
of LOVE'S JOURNEY HOME
VANISHED
in SIGN LANGUAGE
while BEACH GIRLS
BODY CHECK boys
decreeing FAIR PLAY
and still I LINGER
praying I FORGET YOU FOR EVER
























-----------

Michelle 9:19pm

Les Miserables

Soulless

Women
Wither
[in a] Flatland
[beyond] The Sea of Monsters.

[They are] Catching Fire

[in the] Rot & Ruin
[as they pray for] A Separate Peace.

[Across] The Line

A Sound of Thunder.

Rebecca

[drinks] Dandelion Wine
[in this] City of Bones
[and ponders her] Crime and Punishment.
She’s Come Undone
[and the] Lord of the Flies,
[that] Heartless
Boneshaker, [whispers]

"I Never Promised You A Rose Garden."



-----------------

Teresa 9:51pm

"The Hunt" for a poem of titles,
"The Poet" I am not.
Perhaps a "Predator",
"Red Dragon",
or a "Scavenger" all fraught.
A novel is my "Creature",
The "Obsession" of my pride.
By the "Dark of the Moon",
"The Pawn" I've become,
I've crossed "The Great Divide"














-------------
Sarah 9:52pm


I'm at Bouchercon, too, and this poem is made of a very small sample of the books I've collected here--the photo was taken on the bed in my hotel room.

I wish I could enter two poems, because The Black Stilletto, the Good Thief's Guide to Amsterdam and the Electric Barracuda clearly belong together, but not in this one:



 



THE GENESIS KEY
sets off a SHOCK WAVE,
but THE WIRE IN THE BLOOD
is only a MURDER IN VEIN.
A TRACE OF SMOKE,
a VEIL OF LIES
shade CRIMES IN THE MOONLIGHT . . .
SCARY STUFF.

2 comments:

angie Brooksby-Arcangioli said...

These are all excellent but my favorite is from Krag.

Thank you for sending a confirmation email, I did not write back so as to not burden further your inbox.

Thanks for doing this contest.

Rachel Green said...

How splendid!
I loved Jessica's.