Sunday, March 02, 2008

Nothing to Lose...the saga continues

My fresh off the press ARC of Nothing to Lose was kidnapped by the transit police on Friday after a nefarious book thief tried to nab it on the subway.

On Saturday I trudged down to One Police Plaza to reclaim it. Here's what happened:

Me: Two transit cops kidnapped my Lee Child novel.

Desk Sergeant: Which one?

Me: Nothing to Lose

DS: Is that new? I haven't read it.

Me: It's coming out in June. I had an advance reader copy.

DS: Any way to prove it's yours?

Me: Well, I know that some companies are numbering and personalizing ARCs to prevent them from being sold, but I don't think this one has my name in it.

DS: Well, without your name in it there's not much I can do. You might try back in a week or so.

Me: If there's not much you can do, why would coming back in a week help?

DS: Well, I..uh..I'll have a chance to look for it by then.

Passing cop: What he means is he'll have had a chance to read it by then.

And sure enough, there under a stack of forms I spy my very own copy of Nothing to Lose.

Here's the proof:


























Me: That's MINE!

DS: Prove it!

Just as I'm about ready to break into sobs of frustration, I hear a voice behind me.

Voice: Actually, it's mine, but give it to her.

DS: Yessir, Mr. Noah. Here you go ma'am.

I turn around but this Noah guy has disappeared.

Me: Who was that guy?

DS: You've never heard of Noah and his ARC?

14 comments:

Jean said...

Grooooaaaannnn. :)

Mindy Tarquini said...

double grooooaaaannnnn.

Eric said...

That's it, I'm in the middle of writing book four in my series, I'm sticking in at least one real groaner. It's only fair.

Gina Black said...

Thank you. I needed that. (Nose back to the grindstone.)

Sean Ferrell said...

Oh God, I think I just went blind.

Sandra Cormier said...

Oh, Pshhhaaawwww! I suppose Noah was one of the cops in the subway.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Oh, Janet, that was BAD.

PJD said...

Riiiight... what's a cubit?

When you think about this, it's really quite deep. All those cops--let's call them "athiests"--require "proof" that the book is yours. Yet Noah built the Ark on faith.

Nah, never mind. I believe the proper response to something like this is "sssssssss."

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

I laughed anyway.

Maya Reynolds said...

[wince]

Sophie W. said...

auuuuuugh.

I think my brain has fizzled.

The Anti-Wife said...

Another groan!

Therese Walsh said...

Oh, god, it's like your channeling my father. Dad, dad, is that you?

McKoala said...

Hm, when do I stop believing?