Friday, October 05, 2007

Friday night at the Question Emporium

Question:

Now that our beloved Miss Snark has retired, perhaps you could offer a few words of pithy advice about a problem neither she nor Mommy never warned me about.

Two days ago I began emailing carefully tailored queries to 17 top- tier non-fiction agents. Before I finished two responded requesting a proposal. (first of all, I notice you didn't mail one to me unless you used an alias here.)

I did a happy dance.

Yesterday I received two additional responses requesting a proposal. Before I could get giddy one of the agents called to say she'd read the proposal, she'd be delighted to represent the book, and began unabashedly selling her agency as the best choice, "if I hadn't already signed with someone else."

I considered a precautionary call to 911, just in case I became dangerously overwrought.

Today another agent emailed to say he would like to represent the book.

Now I'm starting to worry.

This isn't the way it's supposed to work, is it? Isn't the standard weeks, even months, waiting for a rejection a prerequisite? Endless unanswered queries, years as supplicants at writer's conferences is what I should expect, isn't it?


I've looked for advice on this at Writer's Market, Publishers Marketplace, Absolute Write, & Predators and Editors. But what I find only confirms it's not supposed to work like this. An embarrassment of riches, unlike nitwittery, just isn't a common topic.

Can you offer any advice beyond the obvious 'pick someone you can work with?" Should I pick an agent or a firm? Do contracts, commission rates, access to publishers and other characteristics vary much between firms? Are some agents or agencies noted for securing
better deals for their authors, and how do I find which ones those are?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read all this. If you have the time and inclination to reply the gin and doggie treats are in me.

Tom

PS. While I was writing this I exchanged emails with another agent who asked if I'd queried more than her. I said yes and admitted that two agents already said they wanted to represent the book. She pleaded for me to wait until Monday to decide so she could confer with others in her firm and offer us the best possible deal. Maybe that's the crux of the matter? If so, what constitutes a 'best deal?" Maybe I need an agent agent?


Answer:
First, I don't drink gin and I don't have a dog so fork over the cash instead.

Funny you should mention this very nice problem you have, cause I've been thinking about this very situation a lot this week.

I was thinking about it because I received a very nice query letter from a man in Charm City. I fell on it with glee. I called him up. Too late, he's in the snares of one my slithery colleagues.

My pal Rita Rosenkranz and I commiserate about our "alphabetical undesirability". Even if you have only 17 names, chances are R as in Reid, and R as in Rosenkranz are L as in Last.

Woe is us.

So, I've learned to pounce early on good projects. Whereas I once wrote back, then emailed, now I'm almost as likely to pick up the phone.

The other thing is there are more and more agents out there hunting up good projects every day. Agenting seems to be the profession of choice for former editors. There's at least one announcement a month for a new agent on Publishers Marketplace.

We're all on the hunt for good stuff and those of us who are smart are moving faster and faster. I turn my electronic queries around in 24 hours now, my letters in a week, and I'm reading novels in a week, not a month, as often as possible. There's too much competition now to sit around and talk about how busy we all are.

How do you choose? Well you didn't query me, so you'll have to settle for second best (unless you did query someone here at FinePrint, in which case, sign with us immediately).

Talk with everyone. Get a feel for how they work. It's nice to be wanted but you want to find out what happens when the honeymoon ends. Talk to the clients of your top choices.

Most of my clients will say nice things about me I think. Except this week when all of them but two are feeling ignored, overlooked, and unloved. What they will say even this week is that most of the time, they do not feel overlooked or ignored. Most of the time they think I'm doing a pretty good job. I think that's what you want to look for: an agent whose clients say she's doing a good job even on the days they're feeling crabby about her.

19 comments:

jjdebenedictis said...

You rule, Tom! Congratulations!

Mags said...

That's so strange, Tom. I also have the most amazing non-fiction proposal ready to go. It's cleverly disguised as a 95,000 word piece of women's fiction, but that's just to help me to avoid falling into the sort of uncomfortable situation you find yourself in now.

Tell you what- make your choice and send the others toward me. I'm always available to help out a fellow writer. I'll even cover Janet's tab for you.

I'm cool like that.

Sandra Cormier said...

Tom, I'm sure many of us wish to feel your pain. Good luck and keep us posted.

Unknown said...

Oh Janet.

I'm missing Miss Snark v. much tonight. But I read your blog and I like you v. v. much. Not as a person - because I don't have that pleasure, yet - but as a far-away blog entity. You are good and we need goodness.

Sleep well. brita

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

Sigh. I miss Miss Snark, too. Now that someone mentions it, you would make a nearly perfect substitute. If you could just be a bit snarkier, and run a crapometer a couple times a year, I'm sure I could fool my brain into accepting the idea of it.

Josephine Damian said...

Tom, great news! But I wish you or Miss J had said more about your project.

Is it: Eat, Pray, Make Love to Pamela Anderson?
Love in the Time of Oprah?
The Next Big Secret?
The Da Vinci Code De-Coded?

What kind of subject (or is it your husky, male siren's "voice") that's sent these agents' hearts atwitter - (OMG! proof that agents actually HAVE hearts :-)

I'm guessing an autism book, maybe? Seems to be the hot topic these days.

I say: Sit back, enjoy the position your in and take your time chosing a proper suitor who's just right for you.

Janet, thanks for the insight into this ever changing biz and your snark-like humor.

Tom said...

Fork over the cash? Um, the check's on the loading dock, my wife's in the mail, the shipment doesn't love me. One of those excuses.

While you may be alphabetically challenged, I don't do fiction and you don't do non-fiction so our fate remains untwined.

But not really. Bloggers come and go, but good advice lives on—an indelible legacy.

And I appreciate your willingness to share. We're all better for it. Thank you.

Miss Snark, and I know you're reading this, that goes for you too babe. We love you.

Mindy Tarquini said...

Miss Snark is a pussycat in bunny slippers compared to Janet.

And Miss Snark's not reading anything. She's in the lockdown ward at rehab.

David said...

Aha! So the moral is, when you query agents, start at the end of the alphabet!

This is great!

:)

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

Silly rabbits from Rabbitania! The mystery was just too much for me, so I went sleuthing to find the true identity of our beloved Miss Snark, and you wouldn't believe what I discovered! I revealed all, so now you too, can know the truth:

http://blography-of-southern-writer.
blogspot.com/2007/05/things-people-google-
to-land-here.html

Chris Eldin said...

First of all, my condolences to Tom for all the stress he's under. And the weight of all that cash.

Second, I heart Miss Snark also.

Third, Charm City? You mean Bal'more? Hey, Them's my digs!

Fourth, Although EE doesn't wear stilettos, he does shoot blood from his eyeballs. Miss Snark could never do that.

What a fun read! Seriously, congratulations and best of luck!!
:-)

McKoala said...

Hm, so agents whose surnames start with late-alphabet letters might just be that smidge leaner and hungrier...

Well done, Tom!

Sha'el, Princess of Pixies said...

Miss Snark? When she retired her blog she ruined what little social life I had. ... Except for the goats and children.

"We'll always have Paris."--Bill E. Goat

"Paris? You've never been outside the USA!"--Me

"True, but I listen to NPR and have a really good imagination."--Mr. Goat

Miss Snark said...

rehab?
Yea, physical therapy with mr clooney after his devastating motorcycle injury.

Fortunately I was prepared with medicinal gin.

Dave Kuzminski said...

You're forgetting that P&E lists agents by their first name. ;)

Bill Cameron said...

Janet is teh win. Just wanted to chime in regarding that last 'graph in blue. :D

Sha'el, Princess of Pixies said...

Hi, Snarkie!!

Lynn Price said...

I can say that you're a blast to work with. Oh. I'm sitting on the other side of the table, aren't I?

Bernita said...

Dear Dog!