1. How literary agents are paid.
(and the corollary: don't pay money to any so-called agent)
2. How to assess whether an agent is legitimate
3. What a form rejection is
4. What a referral is
(and what it is not)
5. How to cut, paste, and copy using word processing software; how to attach a .doc file to an email.
6. How to send an email
7. Your website URL: why you need one before you query and what should be on your site
8. A synopsis
9. Where you can ask entry level questions about queries and publishing
(example: Absolute Write.com)
10. What a query letter is (and what it is not)
11. What submission guidelines are and where to find them
12. How publishers "sell books"
13. The difference between publishers, agents, editors, publicists
14. What the "industry standards" are for manuscripts and queries
15. What the pace of the industry is: how long does it take an agent to reply; how long does it take a book to be published etc.