1. Don't tell me the name of your dog.
2. Don't tell me if you don't hear from me, I'll be hearing about you. (That doesn't mean exactly what you think it means)
3. Don't tell me about how hard it is to write a query letter. I don't care.
4. Don't tell me how hard it is to find an agent. I don't care.
5. Don't tell me you found my name on any of the myriad lists of agents. So did everyone else.
6. Don't tell me you've carefully researched what I like. I don't care. I'll read your query even if it's something you think I won't like.
7. Don't tell me about yourself instead of the book. At this stage I only care about the writing.
8. Don't tell me your book is like one of my author's books if you haven't read it. Chances are you'll sound as ill-informed as you are. That's not a persuasive sales technique.
9. Don't tell me you're an Amazon semi-finalist. I don't care.
10. Don't tell me you're published if the books are printed by a vanity, subsidy or POD-mill like authorhouse or iUniverse. You're not published. You're printed. If you don't know the difference, I do.