Thursday, February 14, 2008

Get off my should list

You should read this.

Why?

Cause it's good! And funny! And lots of other good things!

Why?

Cause it is!


If you can quit answering why with should, you'll have a query letter. I'm so damn tired of "you should read this cause there are women in America who like to read novels about women" I could just scream. Ok, I may scream anyway, it's been that kind of day.

A query letter doesn't tell me how enticing a book is; it IS enticing.

They may be hard to write but I know it can be done because I get them EVERY SINGLE DAY. About one a day, mixed in with all the rest of the should.

Should isn't persuasive. It's not persuasive when someone tells YOU what you should do either, is it? Fastest way in the world to get someone's back up is to say "you should eat your vegetables" "You should buy me a car" "You should vote for BarackObamaHillaryClintonMikeHuckabeeMittRomney"

Hell, you should see my incoming query pile.

But more important, you should listen to how to get OUT of the pile and onto my "oh my god, you gotta read this cause it's the most elegant piece of writing about two lovers I've seen. It's funny, and interesting and just sucks you into the story."

5 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Show, don't TELL, right?

SWILUA said...

well, you *shouldn't* vote for Huckabee, that's all I have to say. Shudder, shudder, pain, shudder.

As for the query thing, it sounds like something writers *should* do. ;-)

clindsay said...

But you SHOULD buy me a car.

And a pony.

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

But, oh my god, I actually do have the most elegant piece of writing about two lovers you've ever seen. It's funny, and poignant, and sad, with steamy sex, and longing that will break your heart, and the most surprising ending (it couldn't end any other way) and just sucks you into the story, and as soon as it's ready, I'm going to query you about it.

ryan field said...

Aside from what you posted, it sounds a bit low rent, too.

And, it seems so many people these days are now using the word "need" in place of "should". ...You need to read this...you need to eat your peas and carrots...