Sunday, August 25, 2019

Gracie

Gracie!


As fate--that fickle old rascal--might have it, I also ended up going on vacation this past Thursday. Well, it's more of a glorified weekend trip to PA, but for a New Yorker that most definitely qualifies as a vacation.

Now here's the thing: Pets are not allowed in our (expensive but too small) Bronx apartment, and plants of all religions and denominations worldwide consider me their mortal enemy (having not two, not three, but TEN brown thumbs), and the view from our apartment is exactly what one might expect from a place named after a man unironically sporting the last name of Bronck.

Thus it is with great pleasure I present to you, dear Reiders, lurking reef dwellers, and other assorted sea creatures of ill repute, Gracie--the closest thing I'll ever have to a pet.

She lives on a farm in PA. Our eyes met the moment the blond-headed Amish boy led our small tour group into the stable filled with the unmistakable aroma of reality. There she stood with a yearning look and a mouthful of hay. Within a mere moment the air was abuzz with the sizzle of magic and romance (It may have been horseflies, though. I'm not 100% sure).

I said: "Why, hello Beautiful." She playfully nuzzled my forehead. I laughed gaily and pulled an extra-absorbent napkin from my pocket. I then offered her a big lump of sugar. She excitedly stepped forward and returned the favor by giving me a massive lump on the shin. Stars filled the room, ecstasy overcame me, and twenty-two simple words imprinted themselves upon my heart: Sometimes love, true love, pure love, the kind of love that makes you go "Mhm, mhm, mhm," is so real it hurts.

"But, Casual-T," I hear you say, "what about Mrs. Casual?" Yes, of course, you are right. I am a married man, and I love my wife dearly. I would never leave her (for a horse). But I simply can't bring myself to forget those tender, honest, and ever so bittersweet moments I shared with Gracie on that hot summer's day in Pennsylvania. I will remember her for as long as I limp. (Have you ever seen a shin the color, shape, and consistency of an eggplant? It's quite a sight to behold.)

12 comments:

Megan V said...

Casual-T

Sounds like you're another casualty to equine adoration. And who wouldn't pine after such a lovely gal. Still,hopefully your eggplant coloring doesn't last long. I have, in fact, been there done that. And all I can say is yowch.

Sharyn Ekbergh said...

I will never forget the lovely Rocky I rode in Ireland. Everyone else went over the jumps. Rocky took me back to the barn.
"Not for you, sack of spuds," she said.
But she would let me canter down the track in the forest.
Unforgettable.

Claire Bobrow said...

There's a grin plastered on my face thanks to this hilarious portrait of Gracie, both words and picture. Thank you, Casual-T. That was priceless :-)

Kate Larkindale said...

Sounds like true love! I hope your shin recovers soon. It's true, what they say: love hurts.

nightsmusic said...

I absolutely adore that nose!! I'm grinning from ear to ear.

I'm sorry about your shin. Her depth perception isn't quite as refined as yours ;) But hey! A purple shin is much easier to deal with than a purple foot, of which I have been the recipient of many when I didn't move out of the way quite fast enough.

Horses are grand for the soul. I'm so glad yours was blessed.

*still smiling at that nose...

Claire Bobrow said...

I forgot to say - hope that shin heals up soon. Ouch!

Lennon Faris said...

Ha ha! Thanks for the chuckles. Gracie sure is a lovely one - some really spectacular whiskers there.

AJ Blythe said...

And from the photo (which is awesome) it looks like you just missed a smooch.

Craig F said...

Almost looks like a horsie selfie.

When I used to want something warm between my legs, it was generally a motorcycle. Even though most of them don't have a mind of their own, they can also makes shins look like eggplant, or worse.

Some things you don't forget.

Writer of Wrongs said...

Gracie is darling, and your prose is a delight. Here’s to eggplant shins and equine smiles!

Casual-T said...

Very glad some of you enjoyed this brief summary of my recent vacation adventure. I sincerely appreciate the kind words. And if it made you chuckle, so much the better... I believe it was Thucydides who coined the old Peloponnesian adage: “A giggle a day keeps the reaper at bay!” Or is that: “An apple in the hand is worth two bananas in the bush”? Well, either way it has something to do with health, and if I can be instrumental in keeping y’all healthy and fit (by providing some much needed giggle material, in this world of strife and mayhem), I will gladly do so.

LynnRodz said...

Casual-T, thank you for making my health, and hubby's, so much better this morning! What can I say except, "your girl is lovely."