Several recent queriers have had questions that reveal some flaws in the directions on how to submit queries. That's on me, so I've rewritten the guidelines and will be posting on the website soonishly.
1. I prefer email queries. Include the first five pages in the body of the email. Don't fret about format OTHER than white space.
2. If you want to query on paper, that's ok with me. You don't need to send it expedited, or any other fancy schmancy delivery service.
If you do send it Fed Ex, you should know that messenger center here charges me $5 per signature, and I'll bill you for that. (or just include a five dollar bill with the query)
3. When you query, make sure you tell me what the book is about. If you start with "This story is about" you're on the right track.
4. Right now I'm really only looking for projects that fill a gap in the market, so anything that's on the NYT Bestseller list isn't a good option for me. Gaps right now include vintage westerns (bring on the saloon girls with hearts of gold!); tough guy private eyes who hire dames to answer their phones (if you love Mickey Spillane, you'll love me); poetry, particularly abstract and experimental (academic is the new black!).
5. I'm always looking for memoir of course, so if you've survived an illness, recovered from addiction, or travelled the world in pursuit of spiritual insight, and the book is all about your inner journey and how you have a new understanding of life, query onward. It will be of particular interest if your healing was assisted by a guru of some sort, practicing an ancient wisdom, who chose you from among many to receive her insights.
6. There really aren't enough books about why Jesus is the only path to redemption, so if you have that, please do query.
7. Of course, I always want books that explain how the economy works that other people, particularly economists, don't understand.
8. Given the state of the world, revelations of causal conspiracies, and your solution, always welcome. Charts and graphs a plus.
9. Your particular insights, informed by your experiences, on events both current and historical are welcome.
10. All queries must be accompanied by a photo of a dog or cat. If you do not have your own, rent one.
11. You should also include a paragraph about why I am the only agent you are querying for your book and a brief paragraph why you liked the five most recent books I've sold. Sold, not published.
12. I require exclusive submissions for 120 days.The clock starts when I receive the query, not when you send it. If you query anyone else in that time period, I will set your query on fire and blacklist you on the Agent's Super Secret Double Delta House Black List of Queriers.
13. Happy April Fools' Day.
|#10 should not be a joke.|