Sunday, December 10, 2017

You asked on Twitter about how to query me

I'm so glad you asked me on Twitter about how to query.

The first thing to know is you should read ALL the following instructions before sending a query. Don't be tempted to just hit send.


1. You should know that I only accept queries by mail.

2. Your query letter should be 250 words. It should tell me what the book is about. It should be in Times New Roman font, 12pt.

3. Make sure you include all your contact information including your cell phone and your home address.

4. Include five pages of your manuscript. Again, Times New Roman 12 pt, 1" margins all around.

5. Include a stamped, self addressed 9x12 envelope so we can return your pages if we need to. We like to return pages to you in case other writers are scouting through our garbage for manuscripts to steal.

6. Expect to hear back within 90 days or so.

7. If this seems like a lot of work, you might try what every other writer in the world does: google "query Janet Reid" and see what you find.



7 comments:

E.M. Goldsmith said...

Your majesty, sometimes you are really scary. Truly.

Craig F said...

I heard of that there googledy thing. Does it really work?

Hey look Ma
here comes the elephant boy
all bundled up in his corduroy
headed down south towards Illinois
from the jungles of east St. Paul

Damn its cold, even here.

Back to having Word 16 drive me nuts. It is not as simple as indenting at quotation marks. Every once in a while you hit tab and half the damn page indents.

Lennon Faris said...

#1 and #5 written as is sound like you don't do email queries anymore?

Hope everyone has a good Sunday! We just got our tree and the house smells like evergreen.

Sherry Howard said...

Yesterday was my birthday, and it looks like I missed a busy comment day! Who knew formatting was so interesting?

I’m afraid that I did ALL THE THINGS like that Twitter person at the beginning of my journey. Truth be known, I still may. But I do a lot of research now. Google is so close to me that we snuggle sometimes.

Unknown said...

Sherry, "Google is so close to me that we sometimes snuggle."
*snort laugh*

Mister Furkles said...

Query by mail. Of course, you require mailed with Bhutan stamps, right?

AJ Blythe said...

We got a Google home assist mini and I've had to pack it away because the Barbarians began running *everything* past Google, including their maths homework.