I'm so glad you asked me on Twitter about how to query.
The first thing to know is you should read ALL the following instructions before sending a query. Don't be tempted to just hit send.
1. You should know that I only accept queries by mail.
2. Your query letter should be 250 words. It should tell me what the book is about. It should be in Times New Roman font, 12pt.
3. Make sure you include all your contact information including your cell phone and your home address.
4. Include five pages of your manuscript. Again, Times New Roman 12 pt, 1" margins all around.
5. Include a stamped, self addressed 9x12 envelope so we can return your pages if we need to. We like to return pages to you in case other writers are scouting through our garbage for manuscripts to steal.
6. Expect to hear back within 90 days or so.
7. If this seems like a lot of work, you might try what every other writer in the world does: google "query Janet Reid" and see what you find.