Read the rules carefully this time: there are changes!
1. Write a story using 100 words or fewer.
2. Start with this phrase: "And then she saw"
3. End with the phrase: "stunned her."
4. Use these three prompt words: cat hat splat
5. You must use the whole word, but that whole word can be part of a larger word. The letters for the
prompt must appear in consecutive order. They cannot be backwards.
Thus: cat/catering is fine but hat/heat is not.
6. Post the entry in the comment column of THIS blog post.
7. One entry per person. If you need a mulligan (a do-over) erase your entry and post again. It helps to work out your entry first, then post.
8 International entries are allowed, but prizes may vary for international addresses.
9. Titles count as part of the word count (you don't need a title)
10. Under no circumstances should you tweet anything about your particular entry to me. Example: "Hope you like my entry about Felix Buttonweezer!" This is grounds for disqualification.
10a. There are no circumstances in which it is ok to ask for feedback from ME on a your contest entry. NONE. (You can however discuss your entry with the commenters in the comment trail on the post with results ...just leave me out of it.)
11. It's ok to tweet about the contest generally.
Example: "I just entered the flash fiction contest on Janet's blog and I didn't even get a lousy t-shirt"
12. Please do not post anything but contest entries. (Not for example "I love Felix Buttonweezer's entry!")
13. You agree that your contest entry can remain posted on the blog for the life of the blog. In other words, you can't later ask me to delete the entry and any comments about the entry at a later date.
14. The stories must be self-contained. That is: do not include links or footnotes to explain any part of the story. Those extras will not be considered part of the story.
Contest opens: 8:47 am Saturday 4/30/16
Contest closes: 9am Sunday 5/1/16
If you're wondering how much time you have before the contest closes
If you'd like to see the entries that have won previous contests, there's
an .xls spread sheet here http://www.colindsmith.com/TreasureChest/
(Thanks to Colin Smith for organizing and maintaining this!)
Questions? Tweet to me @Janet_Reid
Sorry, contest is now closed.