I'm heading out to CrimeBake today and I'll be teaching a workshop on effective queries tomorrow.
Here's a short quiz for you:
Query Letter Quiz
All the answers are wrong. Which is the least wrong, and why?
1. The best salutation for a query is:
A. Dear Snookums
B. Dear Sir or Madam:
2. The best way to start a query is a description of the book such as:
A. My fiction novel is set at CrimeBake 2015.
B. My story starts at CrimeBake 2015.
3. When writing odd or unusual names which format should you use:
A. Plxydcotrquarl ("Kip" to his friends)
B. Plxydcotrquarl (the final l is silent)
4. To make sure the agent knows the book is finished write:
A. My book is done
B. My book has been thoroughly edited, freshened, folded, line-dried and edited by the divine Hank Phillipi Ryan herself.
5. When given a referral write:
A. Barbara Poelle said you should read this book.
B. Stephen King said you should read this book when I took a workshop from him.
6. When comparing your book to others write:
A. It's like Jaws but with whales.
B. It's better than The DaVinci Code, and that sold a lot of copies.
7. To make sure your work is protected include:
A. The US Copyright Office TX number you got when you registered the copyright.
B. © after the title