The most talked about book this summer is Harper Lee's Go Set A Watchman. I purposely avoided all the pre-publication reviews and yammer so I could open it with the freshest possible eye. I read it in a day and I'm still not quite sure what I think of the book. Mostly I think someone with avarice in their heart had a lot to do with publication.
But, let's mark the week with a flash fiction contest! Prize is a copy of Go Set a Watchman.
The usual rules apply:
1. Write a story using 100 words or fewer.
2. Use these words in the story:
3. You must use the whole word, but that whole word can be part of a larger word. The letters for the
prompt must appear together and in consecutive order.
Thus: flam/flamingo is ok but man/mean is not.
5. Post the entry in the comment column of THIS blog post.
6. One entry per person. If you need a mulligan (a do-over) erase your entry and post again. It helps to work out your entry first, then post.
7. International entries are allowed, but prizes may vary for international addresses. Prize is generally a book.
8. Titles count as part of the word count (you don't need a title)
9. Under no circumstances should you tweet anything about your particular entry to me. Example: "Hope you like my entry about Felix Buttonweezer!" This is grounds for disqualification. Tweeting things in general about the contest is fine: "I entered the flash fiction contest!"
8. Please do not add any comments about contest entries. (Not for example "I love Felix Buttonweezer's entry!") They will be deleted and you will find yourself in Hot Water.
Contest opens: Saturday, July 18, 5:44am (ok, I changed this without notice but I got up early, so there ya go.)
Contest closes: Sunday, July 19, 6am (note that this is EARLIER than normal!)
Questions? Tweet to me @Janet_Reid
Oops, too late.
Contest closed at 6am Sunday July 19.