Tuesday, April 22, 2014

I love my job, oh yes I do

For those readers who've been here FIVE years or more, you'll remember my non-trip to the Alaska Writing Guild conference in August 2009.

For those of you who don't, here's a blog post that will give you a sense of my wrath

In 2010, I was invited to try again. This time I wrested the planning from the travel agent, and booked myself on a flight to Seattle, then on to Anchorage on the Monday before the conference.  By god if there was going to be a repeat of 2009, I was going to be ready!

Of course, there wasn't.  I got to Anchorage five days before the conference. The conference organizers, kind and generous souls that they are, offered to take me on explorations, trips, tours, hell, they'd have found polar bears to pet if I'd asked.

Instead, I closeted myself in my hotel room and WORKED! I kept telling them I wasn't there for a vacation, only to make sure I actually GOT THERE.

And it was absolutely worth it. The Alaska Writing Guild conference was where I met Lee Goodman and first read his novel INDEFENSIBLE.

I will never forget the moment I looked up from reading his manuscript and realized "holy shit, this guy is the next Scott Turow!"

I was fortunate that Lee signed with me.

I was delighted when editor Emily Bestler agreed with me.

And this week, I was overjoyed when PW gave INDEFENSIBLE a starred review.  I'm damn proud I had a hand in helping this book have a life.



These are the moments an agent lives for.

7 comments:

Joyce Tremel said...

That is so awesome. I love reading these "success" stories. I know how long it takes (most of the time) and the work involved for a writer to get to that point.

Congrats to both of you!

Terri Lynn Coop said...

Indefensible?

Turow?

*perks*

*scampers*

Anonymous said...

I also love these success stories and even the unintentional tidbits of info that relate to timing. I.e. if you signed Lee Goodman in 2010, and the book was published in February 2014, it's just a peek at the how long it might take to go from acquiring an agent to publication - realizing each book is different. I'm sure revisions requested by the editor, and then the overall process of copy edits, cover choice, etc, make up a significant part of that time.

Congrats to you both!

MNye said...

Oh my- patience indeed. Good to know.

Elissa M said...

Aww... June. It's not out until JUNE!

The review looks like a good query template to me. Succinctly tells me who the story's about, what he wants, and what the obstacles are.

Bill Plante said...

Remember it well. Cut my teeth on Miss Snark 2005.

Lee Goodman said...

Janet, thanks for the very kind words! And finding a Janet Reid are the moments we wannabes live for! I need not ask myself where I'd be without you. Without you I'd be ... well... still looking for you.