Saturday, December 28, 2013

Answer: This is utter bilgewater, show me the source



I have been querying agents for a LONG time and getting no responses whatever. I have thought of sending my work direct to editors at businesses that are so tiny they consider unagented work. 

The problem is, if I do that and decide to query agents again I am required to send a list of rejecting editors with every query.

If I try to find an agent again and have to submit a list with each query of 2,000 editors who think my writing is crap I am concerned I won’t get loads of enthusiastic responses. The question is, how does an aspiring author submit a long and depressing list of editors who opine that HE CAN’T WRITE and convince the agent that they are all wrong and he is the next David Baldacci and the agent should send a contract without even asking for a writing sample before a competitor gets a shot at this hot literary property? You can see the point. Bypass the agent world and I may be singing, “Lulu.com, here I come.” Either way any dreams of blistering fame and enduring fortune seem to be evaporating around here. 


I struck out the last part of your question because you're operating from an incorrect assumption.  You do NOT need to send a list of rejecting editors with ANY query let alone EVERY.

Where did you get this information?

IT'S WRONG and worse it's evil and malicious because it clearly has discouraged you and writers don't need any extra helpings of that.

Find the place you got that info and send me the link.  The Sharque needs to chomp on that and right now.

10 comments:

JeffO said...

Annnnnd of course if you're querying and getting no response, it might be your query--read all the Sharchives here and go to places like Absolute Write's Query Letter Hell and get help. Annnnnd keep working on the next book which should be better than the last one. Annnnd make sure the agents you're querying are actually right for your project.

But if you're getting nowhere, then start with the query. And hang in there--there are many of us in the same boat.

Carolynnwith2Ns said...

JeffO - Annnnd the boat is being circled by sharks but not just any sharks, thee Sharque.

Becky Mushko said...

Since you ". . . have thought of sending my work direct to editors at businesses that are so tiny they consider unagented work," it's unlikely that reputable agents would even consider these publishers, which wouldn't be cost effective for them—no advance, probably no distribution, etc.

Colin Smith said...

While I agree with Ms. Shark, I would echo the thought that if 2,000--heck if 200--editors told me my work isn't good enough, I'd be taking another look at my query and ms. As an unpublished writer, if a consensus of publishing professionals tell me my work isn't ready for prime-time, I think I'd listen and, as JeffO suggested, re-work my query, or maybe shelve the project and move onto the next. Perhaps when the next novel gets picked up and spends 2014 on the top of the NYT bestsellers, that first novel might look more attractive. Ooor maybe I would better know how to fix that first novel (experience is a great schoolmaster)... ooor maybe I won't be interested in getting that first work published because my new agent has inspired and encouraged me on to bigger and better projects...

Just my 2c.

LynnRodz said...

Oooh, I see the shark is beginning to circle her preeey before the attack! As others have said, if you've been querying a loooong time, then your query is definitely not doing its job! (I told myself I wasn't going to dooo that, but I couldn't help it!)

Craig F said...

Sounds like someone that doesn't know his own e-mail address, didn't put it on the query or has something hellokitty@yahoo or big nines@gmail.

Agents always answer. It sometimes takes a year but they answer. The didn't spend all of that money to have a lawyer create a form rejection letter to not use it every chance they get.

Elissa M said...

@Craig

"No response means no" is becoming more and more common these days. Agents do not always answer.

That said, I agree if the query gets no responses at all, including no form rejections, there might be a problem that has nothing to do with the query contents.

Date2Relate said...

Doesn't one send something directLY to agent rather than direct to them. Before worrying about who rejects what, shouldn't grammar be a priority - for an author? In any profession - even ours - bad grammar can be an immediate turnoff.

Linda said...

I always take no responses no interest but if they reject my book based on only my query and give me a line or two why; to me, that means time to revisit the query. If you don't know what to do with it, joining a writer's forum can help. My group has been very supportive with both critques of my work and suggestions to make it better.

Keisha Martin Romance Writer said...

I want the source too, your right Janet as an aspiring author I surely do not need another stake in the heart of my query, honestly when I read that first impression was that the writer made an error in how they interpreted the info so if the source is revealed then it should be scrutinized for attempting to shatter the spirit of aspiring writers. I also agree in the meantime resume editing query/manuscript and check out this amazing blog for accurate sensible feedback and helpful guidelines.