Sunday, January 08, 2012

Contest results---yeeesh..finally!

I've been VERY remiss in not posting the results. My only excuse is that honestly, I couldn't pick finalists let alone a winner.  Every single entry was amazing, and I had to read them all multiple times.
ANY of these entries could have won; the list of finalists changed several times over. In the end the entries that stuck in my head are the ones singled out here.


Without further ado:

Special recognition for homage to one of my favorite poems goes to:
M.R. Jorand 3:04pm



A very neat hat trick

Li 9:51am




Finalists


David 3:40pm

Hobo Tom bums
a ride,
a smoke,
a buck,
some gum.

Hobo Tom runs
the streets,
the mall,
game on
Candy.

Hobo Tom sells
bottles,
booze,
rolls, and
rock.

Me and
Hobo Tom.


Hobo Tom,
me, and
Rock.

Rolls and
booze?
Bottles?

Hobo Tom sells
Candy.
Game on.

The mall,
the streets,
Hobo Tom runs.

Some gum?
A buck.
A smoke?
A ride.
Hobo Tom?
Bums.

Steve Forti 5:14pm



The lid creaks
on rusted hinges.
I lay
in the dark.
With squinted eyes,
I bid aloha
to the sun.
Six feet down,
the air is cold.
Above,
you stand.
Your voice
not
a stranger to my ears. The sound
from
your lips like candy
to my soul. Drawn to
not
feel
fear. For you, I
tremble in
love.


Love -
tremble in
fear. For you, I
feel
not.
To my soul, drawn to
your lips like candy
from
a stranger. To my ears, the sound -
not
your voice.
You stand
above,
The air is cold
six feet down.
To the sun,
I bid aloha
with squinted eyes.
In the dark,
I lay
on rusted hinges.
The lid creaks.




Adrienne 6:33pm

"Gentleness?
Love?" he said.
"Kindness?
What are these things?"
He'd placed wilted petals
in my palm.
"Flowers,"
he'd said.
"Beauty.
You will find
trust."
Dare I
believe him?
Should I?
Candy-sweet
words--emptiness.
Vacant,
smoldering smiles.
It started and ended with
lies.



Lies?
It started and ended with
smoldering smiles.
Vacant
words. Emptiness,
candy-sweet.
Should I
believe him,
dare I
trust,
"You will find
beauty,"
he'd said.
"Flowers."
In my palm,
he'd placed wilted petals.
What are these things?
"Kindness.
Love," he said.
Gentleness.


Dylan 11:16pm
Occupy This

Victory is sweet
and
you will win
in the end,
but
it won’t be quick, or easy.

Pacifism works
but
sometimes it hurts.

Did
Gandhi
like
the beatings?
Take
some pride?
Feel
justified?

Is your revolution
really necessary?
“What else is?”
You may ask.

My father used to say,
“Liquor is quicker
though
candy is dandy.”



“Candy is dandy
though
liquor is quicker.”
My father used to say.

You may ask,
“What else is
really necessary?”

Is your revolution
justified?

Feel
some pride.
Take
the beatings
like
Gandhi
did.

Sometimes it hurts
but
pacifism works.

It won’t be quick, or easy
but
in the end
you will win.
And
victory is sweet



Colin Smith 6:11pm

"hard candy
sucks,"
the child
said;
his father
disapproving.




disapproving,
his father
said,
"the child
sucks
hard candy!"




The winner is Colin Smith.  Not only did he reverse the poem, he reversed the sensibility, AND he did it in very elegant form.  It's HARD to write succinctly--all of us beating our heads against the wall to pitch books in 250 words know that! This poem is nine words.  I find that awesome!  Colin, drop me an email with your mailing address and what kinds of books you like to read and we'll get your prize off to you!

Thanks to all who entered! This was an AMAZING effort!

9 comments:

Corinne O said...

Congrats to Colin! This was a fun one and I enjoyed reading all the creative entries.

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

Congratulatios Colin, and all the finalists. This was such a cool contest.

Adrienne said...

Yay Colin! I love this entry. Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Colin and all the finalists!

What a fun contest! Original and extrememly muse-provoking. These people pulled it off in fine style!!!!

Anonymous said...

*extremely* Sigh....

Ali Trotta said...

Congrats to all the finalists -- and many congrats to Colin! Great job, everyone. :-)

Terri Coop said...

Great job and congrats to Colin and the finalists.

Colin Smith said...

8-O

Whaaat?? I... I... won??! Wow! I can't even begin to say how humbling this is. And I'm not just saying that. I read the other entries, and they are incredible. You had a tough job Janet, and I'm honored to have been singled out from such illustrious company. Thank you!

Steve Forti said...

So close. Congrats Colin and the other finalists. Well done.
Bring on the next contest!