Wednesday, August 03, 2011

If you're a writer with a book on submission that hasn't sold (yet) read this

CJ Redwine is one smart cookie.  I remember when her very first novel was making the agent rounds. I read it. So did two good friends of mine. Two of us knew it was perfect for the third. And it was.


I've always had a bit of a softspot in my heart for CJ. I loved her book.  I watched from across the bar as time marched on and the book didn't sell.

And then, she got a deal.  She was over the moon. Her incredibly talented marvelous agent Holly Root was over the moon.  And the two of us who'd kept an eye on CJ: yup, we were over the moon too. Naturally we celebrated with drinks. 

CJ has some cogent insight into this process here on her blog.  If you're in her shoes--an author with an agent and an unsold book--what CJ says here will give you some valuable perspective.

Plus how could you not want to read a blog post that has this picture on it

11 comments:

C.J. Redwine said...

(((hugs))) I've always had a softspot in my heart for you, too. And if we're ever in the same bar, I owe you a drink. Or three.

Leah said...

Wow. I'm in that place, with that bigger, scarier project taunting me from the depths of my brain...thanks for sharing the story of someone who took it on and succeeded!!

Colin Smith said...

May I put in a request for more "success stories"? Any writer that has done his/her research knows how tough it is to get published. However, I get the impression that there are more that get published than we dare to believe. I think it would be nice to hear more of their stories--whether they got the first agent they queried who sold the book in an hour, or it took 6 months to get an agent who sold it after 7 years. Either way, when writers are in the depths of self-doubt, hearing from those on the "other side" can be very encouraging.

Just my 2-cents.

Deb Vlock said...

Thanks for linking to this, Janet.

JS said...

Thanks for linking to this. Such a great blog post, and a helpful reminder that the perspiration:inspiration ratio is a lot higher than people who don't write for a living believe!

Anonymous said...

Loved that post so much. Thank you for sharing it. I've now bookmarked her site. ~Ali

Luanne G. Smith said...

Very much needed to read that. Thanks.

August McLaughlin said...

Inspiring and timely post. Thanks, Janet!

Simon Hay said...

I almost cried reading that. I feel bloody everything! CJ's emotion tested the dam wall I've built to keep me on track, to keep chasing that dream. No rockstars, just regular people not giving up. So many great people in this world going unnoticed until they're successful. It shouldn't be that way. Our environment creates or limits dreams. Tell someone they're great often enough and they will be. As a community of writers we can empower each other by believing in each other. It's easy for me to say I love you, because I do. We all need it, to be noticed, to be heard, to be told we're worthy. The world is big enough for us all to be published. See you in the ocean Janet.

Anonymous said...

Do you post the contest winners on this blog? I have never come across them for any of the contest and I'm beginning to wonder if I am missing something.

Thanks,

Maribeth

DeadlyAccurate said...

I needed that more than you know.

No, you probably do know. But nonetheless, I needed to read that.