1. Mail your query letter and the first two pages of your finished novel (the same two pages you want critiqued at Backspace.) The query letter should be single spaced; the two manuscript pages should be standard manuscript format: 12-point type and double-spaced. (Remember, only the first two pages, even if it ends mid-sentence.)
Do I really need to tell you 1" margins on the sample pages? Why yes, after today's incoming queries, yes I guess I do.
2. One entry per person, please.
3. Mail your entries (yes, on paper, with a stamp - no email entries for this contest!) to:
Sara Kendall's Holding Pen
Nancy Coffey Literary & Media Representation.
240 West 35th #500
New York, NY 10001
4. Your envelope MUST have the word BACKSPACE written prominently on the front so we know it's a contest submission.
5. DO include an SASE. We will let you know when your entry arrives.
If you do not hear back in ten days, RESEND your entry
(please do not call or email to follow up).
6. Entries must be postmarked by Tuesday, March 15th. Entries received with a postmark later than March 15th will be disqualified. This INCLUDES any material sent again. (That means you should really plan to send no later than March 1)
7. The two winners will be announced the week of April 1st.
8. The contest will be judged by Janet Reid, Suzie Townsend and Meredith Barnes of FinePrint Literary Management, and Joanna Volpe and Sara Kendall of Nancy Coffey Literary &Media Representation.
REMEMBER: The Agent-Author Seminar part of the conference is limited to 150 writers and tends to fill up quickly. Anyone who registers for the conference, but who also enters and then wins the scholarship contest, will have their conference registration fee refunded in full. In other words, don't wait to see if you win before you register or you could be too late for the Agent-Author Seminar.