Sunday, February 28, 2010

Philip Marlowe could not have said it better himself


















The first, “Coffee, Black” by Bill Cameron, is a great bit of caffeinated noir – a coffee-house mystery that perfectly captures Portland’s espresso-fueled and anti-corporate culture. Camron has the hard-bitten prose down flat:

She’s a touch thick, not quite shed of her winter fat, but she wears her flesh with oblivious self-assurance. I have no doubt a man with a flatter belly could pay her bar tab and bed her the same night, with no idea of the problems she’ll cause over breakfast.

Philip Marlowe could not have said it better himself.


6 comments:

TAWNA FENSKE said...

Gasp! As a third generation Oregonian, I can't believe I haven't gotten my hands on this yet. Marching over to the bookstore first thing in the morning.

Tawna

Jean Reidy said...

Exquisite! Must request that book.

Hannah said...

That's brilliant! It is on my list.

Spy Scribbler said...

It's bits like that that make me sigh and think, "Back to the drawing board."

Elisabeth Black said...

GO BILL.

Susan Adrian said...

I SECOND ELISABETH.