Friday, March 21, 2008

A very very happy day!

I still remember the sunny summer day I first read Dan Tomasulo's manuscript. 

I loved it instantly. His voice was utterly fresh and original, and his essays made me laugh out loud right before they made me cry. (I can still quote pieces of it and I haven't read it in three years!) 

 I called him (on a Sunday!) and begged him to let me take the book on. 

I don't remember much of the conversation but he did agree (he might have been terrified to say no, I'm not sure!) and we were off to the races.

 Then of course, I found out that a series of linked essays reflecting on childhood isn't the first thing editors say when you ask them what they're looking for. 

 It took awhile but then the incredible Graywolf Press in Minnesota (a press known for exquisite literary taste) recognized how wonderful this book is. 

Dan and I were both stunned with delight. The book pubs in April. 


I'm so thrilled with this book I don't even know what to say!

2 comments:

Chris Eldin said...

This excerpt is very nice. I truly love it, and will be looking for the book!

Ann Handley said...

Looks like a great book. Can't wait to inhale the whole thing!