Sunday, February 03, 2008

I'm holding the ARC in my hand...


and it's one of the most glorious moments of my entire career.

You've heard me talk about Marching Up Madison Avenue for a year now. How Richard Gilbert queried me several years back; how we worked for a long time to make the manuscript better; how I sold it to a small publisher with a big vision and an even bigger heart.

It's here.
The ARC is here.

I've loved every single book I've helped see to publication, but this one, this one is special.

It's special because it was so long in coming but also because I admire and respect Mr. Gilbert so much.

This is a man who never gave up. He'd write and re-write. He'd send the manuscript back and wait patiently for what seemed like my endless suggestions and corrections. He never said "heck with you, you upstart agent." He always did the work.

And his career is amazing. He was an ad man on Madison Avenue in the 50's, 6o's and 70's. I remember some of those ads vividly. And more important, a LOT of people are starting to surface who remember them too.

A sheer stroke of luck brought Don McCaig to us to write the intro to the book. He worked for Mr. Gilbert at the agency. He's gone on to be a successful novelist. You might have heard of his latest: Rhett Butler's People.

I'm so thrilled to hold this book in my hand that I can hardly wait to go to BEA to actually talk to booksellers about this.

I hope you'll love it too.
You can buy it here.
But mostly you can tell your librarian about it.

9 comments:

Kaleb Nation said...

Congratulations to both Richard and you on the book!

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

Happy day. Congrats to you both.

Susan Adrian said...

Ooooh, congratulations!! A huge achievement for both you and Richard!

Mindy Tarquini said...

I've a feeling that I'll remember the ads. But not because I was alive during all those long ago decades but because my um, mother...NO...my GRANDMOTHER told me about them.

ryan field said...

This looks like a good one. I'm buying it because I trust your opinion, and because the topic interests me. I was a marketing major for two years in college before I switched to journalism, and the ad courses were fascinating...so were the profs because they were usually professionals in the field, or they came from places like SVA on 23rd Street.

How wonderful to have worked on a book with someone like this!

DeadlyAccurate said...

My business degree included equal emphases in marketing and computer information systems, and while became a programmer after graduation, I really enjoyed my marketing classes, especially my advertising and case studies classes.

Congrats to Mr. Gilbert and Janet on the impending release of this book!

The Anti-Wife said...

I'm so old I'll probably remember all his ads. Look forward to reading this.

Chris Eldin said...

Many heartfelt congratulations!!!
This is a book I remember you mentioning from a while back. I've been waiting for it also!
;-)

Chris Eldin said...

Many heartfelt congratulations!!!
This is a book I remember you mentioning from a while back. I've been waiting for it also!
;-)