Sunday, February 23, 2020

Fowl fare!

While I read contest results, here's a little something for you! It's by blog reader Karl Henwood.



    My family got chickens when I was maybe eight. We actually lived deep in suburbia where the home owners association explicitly forbid the keeping of poultry, so it was very much an act of wild rebellion. Also, while my mom had grown up on a farm, she hadn't kept any hens for about 30 years and certainly not as pets. That lead to a certain amount of trial and error in mastering the art of the backyard chicken, and by far the most embarrassing moment came in the second year of the project.

    The first four hens we got presented no issues. An Australorp, a Barred Rock, and two Buff Orpingtons gleefully settled into a life of annihilating the lawn and complaining constantly as it the way of their kind. We had eggs, there wasn't a spider on the back of the house below 24 inches, and life was good. We gave eggs to our friends, our neighbors, and especially Willy the postman who greatly missed fresh eggs since he'd grown up on a farm in rural Mississippi where fresh eggs were one of the few real niceties available.

    But then, at the start of the second year, my sister learned about these cool chickens called Ameracuanas that laid green or blue eggs. Mom agreed to expand the flock, so we went to the local hatchery and purchased two chicks from the bin marked "hens." My sister named them Veronica and Betty after the characters from the Archie comic. Since one of our mature hens had gone broody a couple days before we stuffed the chicks under her in the dead of night. Chickens not being great at math, she happily overlooked the fact that she'd only been incubating her eggs for 72 hours and settled into raising her new babies.

    But after a few weeks we noticed that Betty wasn't behaving quite right. Or looking quite right. She was bigger than Ronnie, and angrier, and her comb was much taller, and she was growing such splendid feathers... So we asked the hatchery, and they said the chicken-sexing process was more an art than a science so it was entirely possible we'd gotten a rooster by mistake. This development was greeted with great anxiety by my sister and I; we could get away with hens, but if a rooster started crowing from our back yard the home owners association was going to figure out our terrible secret pretty damn quick. Plus Betty was quite a sociable chicken, always game to sit on your lap and eat snacks or just get petted. There were moments when I could almost imagine a sort of chickenish affection behind those googly eyes instead of just ravenous hunger and frustration.

    So we watched and waited, dread growing along with Betty's comb and plumage. By the fifth month Betty was looking a lot like this majestic beast.



    It was getting hard to deny that we needed to find him a new home. But he wasn't crowing and mom was fond of him too, and she still wasn't willing to concede that he might not be just a very fancy hen. So she decided to get a second opinion. The next Saturday when Willy came by with the mail, my sister and I ran out and begged him to tell us if he thought our chicken was a boy or a girl. He obligingly parked his truck and followed us into the back yard, where my mom gave him the run down on the situation.

    Then, just as mom finished, Betty marched around the corner from the chicken coop, let out the first full throated COCK-A-DOODLE-DOO of his life, jumped on the back of one of the hens, and commenced mating.

    Even twenty five years later, having seen the spectrum of human experience from the horrific to the sublime, I still have not seen an expression of pity to match the one on Willy's face as he said, "Ma'am, I'm pretty sure that's a rooster."

    So He-Betty was relocated to a farm out in the country, a real one with a flock of chickens already living in the barn. There he met the current rooster of the flock, a Bantam who was maybe 1/10th his size. However, Bantams being what they are, the smaller bird also had the personality of Hitler crossed with Jack The Ripper, so He-Betty spent the rest of his live living in fear of arbitrary beatings from a critter barely larger than a pigeon.




17 comments:

Ellen said...

Thank you thank you! This story made my day. Perfectly told!

Theresa said...

"Ma'am, I'm pretty sure that's a rooster." I will be thinking of all sorts of ways I can use that as a response in any given conversation. What a perfect story.

J.A. Haigh said...

Ha! I love this! So perfectly catches the character of bantams...
Karl, I like your style!

Beth Carpenter said...

I love this story, and I love your mom!

Claire Bobrow said...

Karl, that's the best story I've read all week! And given the subject matter, your byline is extra-delightful :-)

John Davis Frain said...

Ma'am, I'm pretty sure that's a hilarious story.

Jennifer R. Donohue said...

"Ma'am, I'm pretty sure that's a rooster" made me laugh loudly enough to receive an inquisitive look from my sleeping puppy.

In one of my local city-level elections, a council member ran (and won) on the notion of allowing backyard chickens. While I do not have any (though a previous housemate kept rabbits for a little while, and has since moved to another state, and gotten married, and keeps chickens there), there's somebody a couple blocks over who does, and sometimes on our walks, Ulrike and I pause on a section of sidewalk while she tries to figure out where those weird bird noises are coming from.

nightsmusic said...

Oh, this made me laugh!!!

I do live in a rural area and while the regulations say NO ROOSTERS!, there are those who choose to ignore the rules and keep one anyway. While rural, we have three acres, the house next door has two...you get the idea. The people who moved in two years ago now, after their house sitting vacant for four years and then getting flipped, have been...less than desirable neighbors. Setting aside all of their strange ideas like being able to build on our property, one of their biggest faux pas is having a rooster who likes to sit as close to our house as possible and crow. Loudly. And often. And all. night. long. Which of course means no open windows in the summer on nights when there is work the next day. Their A/C runs constantly so they don't hear it, I guess, but they haven't made any friends of their neighbors.

Wonder why... /s

KDJames said...

This was where I absolutely lost it and scared the cat with my snort-laughing:

"...she still wasn't willing to concede that he might not be just a very fancy hen."

Thank you, Karl, that was remarkably cathartic hilarity. You have also ensured that I will never forget your very apt surname.

Lennon Faris said...

This is hilarious! Loved that it was the mailman.

Emma said...

Love it! We live in suburbia as well, but my husband always wanted to be a farmer. So a few years ago he ordered 8 chicks, and they arrived in the mail! He had to go to the post office and pick up his box of 10 chicks (they gave him two extras just in case). He built a little coop for them, but they outgrew it, so he built a real big one, and they outgrew that one, so he just let them loose in the backyard.

But they started wandering all over the place, crossing the driveway, the road, and the gully behind our yard (so now I know the answer to THAT question) until he built a fence.

We had eggs, the neighbors had eggs, friends did, and our favorite bartender did as well.

And then the fox found them. Now we have an empty coop, an empty larger coop, and a deserted fenced yard. It was good while it lasted.

TBH, I still don't really understand the whole "sexing the chicken" thing. How is it not a science? Is it not binary? One or the other?

MaggieJ said...

Thank you so much, Karl, for a lovely story. It brought back so many happy memories.

We have 33 acres in Southern Ontario, and since we are zoned agricultural, we've been able to have whatever livestock we want. We started with Speckled Sussex chickens and added Pilgrim geese and rabbits. I enjoyed them all -- except a couple of mean roosters -- but the geese were my delight. Our last goose -- our darling Elsie -- died at the age of 13 a year ago, and something -- we think a coyote -- nabbed our last two old hens right after that. My mobility isn't so good anymore, and we decided not to replace them, but I feel blessed to have had those years.

NLiu said...

What a brilliant story!

We never kept hens but seeing as we lived somewhere rural, I had friends who did. Also fowl of the quacking variety. You'd think they were all placid and friendly until you met Herbie the Attack Duck and had your shoelaces eviscerated. Happy memories!

Alyssa R said...

My family doesn't have any fowl, but we have friends who have chickens, ducks, geese, or some combination. Recently I did some petsitting for friends who have both chickens and ducks. I was supposed to let both sets of birds out of their coops in the morning and close them in at night, after they'd gone in on their own. The first night, I arrived about half an hour before dusk. The chickens were all snug in their coop. The ducks absolutely refused to go near theirs, even when I sprinkled the ramp with grain, until it was definitively dusk. Blasted things. I learned my lesson, and came much closer to dusk for the rest of the petsitting.

I got to take home any eggs the birds laid while I was taking care of them. One day, the 3 ducks laid 4 eggs. I'd thought they only laid one egg a day, max. Either I'm wrong, or ducks are bad at math too.

Craig F said...

I enjoyed your view of chickens. It enunciates the reason they are called chickens in a great way.

I live in a city that has an odd love/hate affair with chickens.We are allowed three chickens and no roosters round here.If your chickens need serviced, you have to take them to the county.

Then there is the area near Ybor. The chickens there are historical figures. They are the descents of Cuban chickens from the early 1800s hundreds. They have their own surveillance cameras and dedicated police detail.

Brenda said...

Great one, Karl.

LynnRodz said...

Karl, sorry this comment is so late, but thank you for making me laugh out loud. It was much needed at this time.