Thursday, January 17, 2019

Querying after some very nice passes and expressions of future interest

I am getting ready to query my next work. My last work garnered many personalized responses, so now I am going back through and trying to decipher what they may mean, in terms of this work and how I should proceed from an etiquette perspective.

1. “I hope you’ll query me again”

This seems simple. Just send a query for the new work per the guidelines. Should you mention in the letter that they asked you to query them again? Is the answer different if it goes to a personal agent email rather than a slush submissions email?

2. “I’d love to see the new work.”

Is this the same as number one or different? Should I add REQUESTED and just send normal query materials with personalization or is this a request?

3. “When you’re done, send it over.” (From referrals, or query critiques, etc. on the current work)

Is this a request, or should I follow standard query procedure and note the conversation in the query letter?


1-3 are essentially the same question: how to query when you've gotten good comments but not an offer.

It's not a question of etiquette. As long as you don't start out Hey Snooks, you missed the boat last time, here's your second chance, you're probably fine.

I think this is a question of strategy. Do you want to remind them they passed on something? I don't think there's a definitive answer here.

I will say this: I NEVER EVER ask someone to query "just to be nice" and no agent I know does either. It's counterproductive. We've got enough stuff coming in; we don't need to encourage people we're not interested in.

And as for #2, this is NOT a request. Don't mark it requested. Someone who marks their work as requested when it isn't makes me wonder if they think I'm stupid, or just not organized.

4. Agent has told you to email their personal email previously, but now the agency uses a form system (aka Query Manager)

What is the etiquette here? I have zero idea. It’s technically a query, and they gave the previous guidance when it was a submissions email and a personal email system, rather than a form system.

Query BOTH. In the personal email tell the agent you also sent via the form.
Let them decide which one to use.
When they do, follow suit.

This happens to me a lot.
I don't care how someone queries me.
Some agents are more persnickety about this.
Just note in both queries that it's being sent twice. When I get duplicates with no explanation, I always assume the writer is not well-organized.

Having read, and liked, your previous work, I can say this: YAY for the new novel.



10 comments:

E.M. Goldsmith said...

So glad OP asked all this. I was wondering kind of the same things. At least as far as #3 goes. I plan to query according to guidelines and mention in personalized query earlier interest. Then hope the query and pages do their jobs. This is very exciting, OP. Great job finishing a new book.

Theresa said...

Good luck, OP! Sounds like this second time might be the charm.

Amy Johnson said...

I hope all goes well with this round of querying, OP. And try not to let yourself go too hamsterwheelish while trying to decipher what previous responses may mean. Not that any of us here would do that. :)

Carolynnwith2Ns said...

Numbers 2 and 3 are my lifeboats in an ocean of predatory sea creatures.

Claire Bobrow said...

Great questions, OP! Good luck with the new novel!

Jill Warner said...

Those are great questions that I've sorta been wondering about that myself since I had an editor request my book whenever it was ready after a query critique.

Congrats with all the nice responses, OP.

Melanie Sue Bowles said...

Interesting questions and response.

All the best, OP.

Craig F said...

I just finished a sci-fi thing. To me that means open season on querying. I seriously doubt any agent would remember me, if I had queried them previously. A couple of hundred other queries per week make it hard to pick any one of them out of a crowd.

Just query,Trust your work and don't ask for more.

Brenda said...

Best of luck in querying, OP, and congrats on the new ms.

Kregger said...

Good luck!