Yes, this is filled with whisky

Yes, this is filled with whisky

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Query Status update 11/22/09

I've replied to all the queries I've received by email and by post.

If you queried me you have gotten either:
1. the dreaded form rejection (sorry, I'm clearly out of my mind)
2. the less-dreaded "I need more time" email
3. the even less dreaded but more terrifying request for a full

If you did NOT get any of those, go here to
Query Letter Diagnostics.

Resend if you get all the way to #10 and don't find what went wrong.


Travener said...

Gee, if your in-box is empty, maybe you wouldn't mind us all rejects re-querying you? Like a sort of early Chistmas present?

Janet Reid said...

Trav, I have 39+ full manuscripts to read. I'll send YOU a Christmas present if you promise not to re-query! (a puppy!!)

Travener said...

Oh, yeah, I forgot about those funky things called manuscripts. Well, as Emily Litella would say, "Never mind..."

Though I do like puppies.

Dawn Hullender said...

How do you feel about new queries? I haven't queried you yet *bats eyelashes innocently*

jjdebenedictis said...

Congratulations on clearing your backlog! Yay, Janet!

Lia Mack said...

Be nice. Don't re-query until after the holidays...give the woman a break!

39 full manuscripts? Do you have someone to filter them through before they get to you?

Janet Reid said...

Dawn, I LOVE incoming queries. Don't ever think for a minute that I don't. It's how I find most of my fabulosity of clients.

Lia, I read all my own queries and all my own mss. I have second readers on some of them, but those are my very own eyeballs looking at your queries and your mss.

Dawn Hullender said...

Don't worry Lia, I'm not quite ready to query yet. I'm working on editing my first one which has been accepted for publication. I don't have an agent yet, so I'll start querying on my second after the first of the year.

Yay Janet, I'm glad you LOVE incoming queries. I'll send you one soon. :-)

justwritecat said...

Can you elaborate on the "I need more time" email? What things go through your mind when a query elicits such a response?

Thank you,


Larissa said...

You are hilarious! I love your Query Letter Diagnostics. Thanks for the laugh! :)

Janet Reid said...

Just, Sometimes I need to give the pages some consideration; maybe do some research on whether there are other books like it. Sometimes I just need to read the pages when I'm in a different frame of mind.

Lumpy Dog said...

39 manuscripts? 39? Why send puppies for Christmas when you could just send those (but not mine)?

John said...

RE: "frame of mind"

I would have a difficult time processing such a large number of queries and mss simply due to that. I have days where I'm very ADD and have to force focus on one thing at a time.

It's good to see that agents will take time with such things so a particular frame of mind won't unduly muddy their perception.

Then again, we're all human. Or mostly so. (I guess you've a strand or two of shark DNA tossed in the mix). ;)

Andrea said...

Does this include all queries sent to janet @ fine print lit dot com, even those with "Shark" in the subject line?

Janet Reid said...

Andrea, I wish!
Sadly, no.

The QueryShark inbox is a whole separate universe; there are about 2000 queries there. There's no way I'll get to all of them even if I stop working and devote my life to chomping!

Andrea said...

Figured as much. Thanks.

Devote your life to chomping? I thought you were already doing that!