Saturday, May 24, 2008

Reason #something why I love my job

There I was in the office yesterday finishing up all sorts of end-of-the-week tasks. The godsends were busy sending stuff hither and yon, all my colleagues were busy making deals. I was sitting around contemplating royalty statements which as far as I can tell are written in Sanskrit.

Enter Joanna, godsend of the mail. Carrying a LARGE package.

"It's for you," she said cheerfully (well, she's cheerful all the time, in contrast to say, me, who hasn't been cheerful since that whole scandal about my client being chained to a burning lake.)

I listen carefully, but no ticking so I'm thinking it might not be a bomb.

No sulphur, so probably not a flaming bag of dog poop.

No glitter.
No unicorns.

Ok, safe to open.

Here's what I found




















A very nice wooden box with a bow. I pull the bow carefully (no snap of a grenade being engaged). I open it.

oh my
oh my
oh my

It's chock a block full of delicious choccies. Get this. The box came with its own ice pack to keep it cool! What a treasure trove.

And just when you think it couldn't be any more fun, get a load of this:



















That is a candy mouse. With a tail.
I'm here to tell you I was actually cheerful the rest of the day.

I earned bonus points by sharing around the office but I hi-tailed it home damn quick after that with my treasure trove so I can keep it all for me me me.

I have fabulous clients.
There's just no two ways about it.

They write so well it makes my heart sing to read their work.
And they have exquisite taste in treats.

I love this job, I do!

21 comments:

Alice said...

Unicorns? You're still getting stuff wrapped in scented unicorn paper?

Kyler said...

Just in case I need to know for the future, what kind of Scotch do you like?

Kitty said...

what kind of Scotch do you like?

I seem to recall 12-year-old McCallan.

...

Jessica Nelson said...

That's so sweet! I'm happy for you, and for myself as presently I'm devouring a tray of turtle bars. Here's to chocolate!

Liana Brooks said...

I'm very curious about the lake of fire deal. Janet, I'll buy you dinner and let you do all the talking- next time your south of Dallas. If that ever happens, holler.

Oh! And the mouse is cute. What's it made out of?

Janet Reid said...

The mouse was made of white chocolate. Yum!

Julie Weathers said...

Gads, that is wonderful. You really do have nice clients

Liana Brooks said...

Solid white chocolate or was their a truffle filling of some kind?

I'm looking at the picture trying to guess how hard it would be to make these with some friends for goodies at a potluck.

Have a happy Memorial Day weekend!

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

Hmm. Making note to self: Janet may have an early degree of Gemini rising on her ascendant, where Venus, bestower of gifts has just appeared. Most things come in threes, but while in Gemini, they come in pairs. Let's see, what can I bet? If you receive another gift by say, Wednesday, you must send me an ARC of Mindy's book. If you don't, you can name your prize.
This one is so cool! It came in pretty wrapping, too. How nice of your client.

Sha'el, Princess of Pixies said...

"Bunnies get their own chocolate, and now mice do. Why doesn't someone make goat-shaped chocolate?" -- William E. Goat, III, esq.

Julie Weathers said...

I'm looking at the picture trying to guess how hard it would be to make these with some friends for goodies at a potluck.~

If filled you could "paint" the white chocolate in a teardrop candy mold. Let it set, fill and seal with more chocolate. Solid, just pour the the mold.

Ears could be done with a pastry tube, like making flower petals, I would think. Let them chill until firm and glue them on with more white chocolate.

Janet Reid said...

Mindy's book...ahhh!!
I love that book.
Almost as much as I adore Mindy herself.

And no more giftage this week, since I will be gone gone gone to LA to drink scotch and visit my relations at the La Brea Tar Pits.

Sandra Cormier said...

Another reason to feel warm and fuzzy - your blog was chosen as one of the top agent sites in Writers Digest:

http://www.writersdigest.com/101BestSites/?m_sCategory=AgentBlogs&m_nYear=2008

Ack! It's a big url - I hope it works.

Marian Perera said...

That is the cutest mouse ever.

And whoever sent it is practical as well as generous. Ice pack... I must keep that in mind for the future.

Steph said...

That looks yummy =) Not a fan of white chocolate myself, but I'd totally eat some if it came in a rat shape. Weird but true.

Steph

Dana said...

The cool thing about La Brea is that they have tame paleontologists behind glass, so you can watch them at work.

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

"And no more giftage this week, since I will be gone gone gone to LA to drink scotch and visit my relations at the La Brea Tar Pits."

Hey, now. I'm betting you'll get something, and you're telling everyone not to send anything. That's not fair.

Julie Weathers said...

The cool thing about La Brea is that they have tame paleontologists behind glass, so you can watch them at work.~

That would be fascinating.

Wonder if they accept slave labor.

Susan Adrian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan Adrian said...

Drat, link didn't work. Try again:

I once went to a dinner party where the overachieving hostess made chocolate mice. SO cute, and I loved biting their little heads off.

Recipe here

Julie Weathers said...

Laughingwolf posts this on his blogs and it just tickles me. I, obviously, am easily amused.

http://laughing1wolf.blogspot.com/2008/05/when-chefs-get-bored-ii.html