Friday, February 08, 2008

The only thing I don't like about my job

I love my job. I love all of it. Ok, not the rejections part, but honestly, those are just part of the game and all I need is an offer and all those no's just fade from memory (well, not exactly but mostly.)

The one thing I'm not loving quite so much these days is that I'm saying no to a lot of very good stuff. The reason I'm saying no is I've gotten busier with my established clients. Jeff Somers is busy writing, (and I'm reading right behind him); Patrick Lee is busy writing (and I'm busy reading that); Amy Minato's cover designs came in (and I've got to stare at those for a while). That's in addition to going out on projects, following up on projects, and calling up my bookie to bet on the SuperBowl. Oh, and answering query letters.

I've had a spate of interviews recently and that jumps my query numbers. A deal posted on Publishers Marketplace: that jumps the queries.

And I think people are querying me now who might not have before. I've also seen a very dramatic increase in the quality of the queries. Whereas before if I had 100 queries a week, about 5 of them were things I'd seriously consider. Now it's more like 10. That means you can't be A- anymore; I'm able to choose from entirely A level work. For me that's nice. For you at A- or B+, it stinks.

On the other hand, all these categories are so subjective you couldn't start to quantify them. That means you MUST query more than "a select group of agents." I know you mean that phrase to be a compliment but I think it means you haven't been paying attention.

Query widely. Find people who want your work. Pick from the group that says yes. Don't artificially limit yourself by querying too narrowly. I said no to three things just tonight that a year ago I might have taken on. That's got nothing to do with the caliber of your work and everything to do with my workload.

Query everyone....but me first, of course.

5 comments:

Janet said...

Can I quote that last line when I query you with something outside your normal genre preferences? ;o)

Janet Reid said...

absolutely.
And reference the fact that you think I should drink more scotch on Friday instead of prowling around the query pile.

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

Ha! I knew it was you when you said I was over-thinking it.

Irene B said...

Okay, I'm more than willing to query widely. I'm writing historical (hopefully commercial) fiction. When an agent says they accept commercial fiction but don't want genre fiction, does that mean I query or don't query? I'm thinking I'll just query anyway--if they don't represent historical fiction, then it's not someone I have to worry about ticking off.

Thanks.

Janet Reid said...

Genre fiction is usually mystery, sci-fi/fantasy, westerns.

The other stuff like historical is just considered fiction.