Thursday, February 14, 2008

My bs detector's batteries are working just fine, thanks

Here are the phrases you use in a query letter that activate the BS-alert siren:

"You come highly recommended"..without a name or any description.
Ya, sure, you know my ma too. This is clearly crap. Don't use it.

"I'm approaching you because I've researched agents carefully".
Please.
Save that for date night at the Y.
You're querying me cause you need an agent. We both know this. Just get ON with the part about your book.

"I know you're busy."
You really have been spending too much time with my ma.
Get over it. You don't have to jolly me into reading your query letter.
I'll read it..as soon as you start telling me ABOUT THE BOOK.

"I've never published before."
I don't care. Tell me ABOUT THE BOOK.

1 comment:

Anne said...

You don't care that I've never had a book published before. While this may have been a rant on your part, those are very uplifting words.

Thank you.

By the way, I think Aliens and Alibies closed. Or at least they moved.