Sunday, October 07, 2007

Be ready to query

You've written your query letter. Spellczeched it more than once.
You've scrounged up names of agents who look respectable.

Ready?

oh no no no.

You may be sending a query letter but here's the stuff you need to have READY when I email you back with interest:

1. a synopsis (I'm asking for a synopsis after reading partials, before reading the entire novel, now, as a time management technique).

2. a proposal, if you're writing non-fiction. WITH a sample chapter ready to go. Don't query on an idea. Be ready for yes.

3. an idea about your second novel, and preferably some actual chapters. Almost every editor now is asking "what else is in the quiver" for first time novel buys.

4. a short bio with list of previous publications if any.

There is an odd dichotomy in publishing. The entire industry moves at a glacial pace, but individual transactions are happening faster and faster. Hatherleigh Press just published a book in SEVEN days after they got word that a self published book was going to be on Oprah. Signed the author, had the books ready to ship in SEVEN days.

I signed a client, submitted his book and had an editor call back with interest in 24 hours recently.

I've had non fiction proposals get a response in 3 hours.

Hurry up and wait...not just for the army anymore!

3 comments:

Chris Eldin said...

What you say about the synopsis makes sense, but it hasn't been my personal experience. I've been asked for several partials, and now on my third full. Only one agent has asked for a synopsis (she happens to be the one with the full right now).

But you are definitely right that it's better to have everything ready to go out the door!

McKoala said...

Synopses are so foul to write that honestly I'd advise anyone to have one ready on the off chance. I had to bash one out in 48 hours a few weeks ago to send with a partial and (a) my head nearly exploded, because I hate the darn things so much (b) it's probably a pile of @#a%.

Mags said...

I really wish more agents would spell out exactly what they want, look for, get excited by, and will expect in step two.

It's not necessary, and shouldn't be expected. I wish it anyway.

It's such a treat to come across an agent who wants to give writers every possible chance to succeed.

(It was when I found your "How to format a ms page" link, complete with number of times to space down before and after chapter headings, that I went all googley eyed for your blog. Schematics- so yummy!)