Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Yes, you can make a priest crack up during mass

Today is a Holy Day of Obligation which means all Catholics have to turn up at the God House for mass. Our local parish has a 7:15am mass. I set the alarm for six and managed to get to the church on time....barely. Everyone who works with me, or knows me, knows I am so NOT a morning person.

Mass proceeds. We get to the intercession prayers. That's when people ask for prayers. "Special intentions" are common, as are prayers for the sick, travelers and people embarking on new life adventures. One very nice lady asked us to pray for "her son Omar and his fiancee Kima."

A moment of silence then most responded "Lord, hear our prayer".

Not me. I was stuffing my sleeve in my mouth trying VERY hard not to laugh out loud.
For those of you who don't watch The Wire, the joke is below.**

I looked around, hoping no one had noticed either me collapsing or the joke. Everyone was fine.. except the priest. His mouth was twitching. Then his nose. Then his eyebrows. Then he snorted. I dove under the pew to avoid the lightning.

I've heard it said that David Simon is a god...now I have proof positive that even the God Squad thinks so.





** Omar and Kima are characters on The Wire. Omar robs drug dealers and is a confirmed sociopath. Kima is a police detective and one of the emotional centers of the show. The idea they'd be together is even more hilarious because Omar is gay and Kima is a lesbian.

4 comments:

Chris Eldin said...

**Church Lady saw you laughing and was NOT amused**

Christa M. Miller said...

I want your priest! Ours quotes Solzhenitsyn to schoolchildren.

astrologymemphis.blogspot.com said...

A lot more of your personality and sense of humor has been shining through in recent weeks than ever before. Sweet.

Sandra Cormier said...

There's nothing in the world like a priest with a sense of humour. At our wedding 23 years ago, Father Paul admonished my new husband when he kissed me a little to enthusiastically. He tapped DH on the arm and said, "Down, boy."