0. Have you waited thirty days? I ask for 30 days to respond to queries. In addition, there is a place on the blog that shows how caught up I am. Make sure you're not jumping the gun.
NO: Simmer down and wait.
YES: Go to 1
1. Did you address it to JetReidLiterary at gmail dot com
NO: resend it to that address
YES: Go to 1A
1A: did you send the email to more than one person at the same time as a cc or a bcc or on the TO line?
NO-go to 2
YES-resend it to me, and do not include anyone else, including yourself in any address line
2. Did you include an attachment of any kind?
NO: go to 3
YES: resend it to me without any attachments. Pages are pasted into the query itself
3. Did you query by post and fail to include an SASE for my response? I do NOT send email rejections on queries received on paper.
YES: Requery and include an SASE OR requery by email. (email is preferred)
4. Are you someone other than the author of the book?
NO: go to5
5. Have you sent me email in the past, such as newsletters, cute sayings, mailing list "Send All" email?
NO: go to 6
YES: your email is likely now flagged as junk or spam. Resend the query from a new email address.
6. Have you queried me more than twice this year for the same project?
NO: go to 7
YES: your email has been flagged as junk or spam. Stop querying.
7. Have you checked your spam filter for my reply? (if you have one of those "please click here to be on my approved sender list" barriers--I didn't)
NO: go check
YES: go to 8
8. Does your query letter contain any phrase or word that would trigger MY spam filter?
NO: go to 9
YES: rewrite your query letter, resend
NO: change your account name to match your email, or get a new email address
YES: go to 10
NO: go to 11
YES: get a new email address.
NO: Resend with an actual query (250 words approx) and the first three to five pages of the novel.
YES: Got to 13
13. If you've gotten all the way down this list and nothing has been a do-over, try again. Pay attention to the things that trigger my spam filter, and the things that trigger my delete key.
Questions? ...well, I'd tell you to email me, but clearly that's a problem. You might try reaching out via Twitter: @Janet_Reid